“White House threatens veto.”
On what grounds? Obama was the one who (a) made indefinite detention “our” official policy—thereby leaping further right that BushCo—and then (b) was the first to let the military whack any US citizens deemed to be “terrorists,” which is to say, without a trial.
So if he vetoes this horrific legislation, great. Let’s everybody ask him to. But let’s not pretend that he would do so out of any reverence for the Bill of Rights.
Senate Votes To Let Military Detain Americans Indefinitely, White House Threatens Veto
First Posted: 11/29/11 06:35 PM ET Updated: 11/30/11 12:05 AM ET
WASHINGTON — The Senate voted Tuesday to keep a controversial provision to let the military detain terrorism suspects on U.S. soil and hold them indefinitely without trial — prompting White House officials to reissue a veto threat.
The measure, part of the massive National Defense Authorization Act, was also opposed by civil libertarians on the left and right. But 16 Democrats and an independent joined with Republicans to defeat an amendment by Sen. Mark Udall (D-Colo.) that would have killed the provision, voting it down with 61 against, and 37 for it.
“I’m very, very, concerned about having U.S. citizens sent to Guantanamo Bay for indefinite detention,” said Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.), one of the Senate’s most conservative members.
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Please HELP FUND this documentary on JFK’s assassination!
- Talkin’ World War One Blues…
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- Please HELP FUND this documentary on JFK's assassination!
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- How NYU squeezes billions from its students—and where that money goes
- Words of Power
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- t r u t h o u t
- Suburban Guerrilla
- The Rude Pudit
- The Ostroy Report
- Evil GOP Bastards
- Early America
- Election Defense Alliance
- Media Channel
- Democratic Undergroud
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- Writers Voice
- Veterans for Common Sense
- Online Journal
- Thom Hartmann
- Mainstream Baptist
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.