That’s good news—as far as it goes.
Now let’s see what happens on Election Day, when HB 194 may “survive” the effort to repeal it, whether the majority votes for it or not.
By Brad Friedman on 12/9/2011 2:58pm
It’s Official! OH’s GOP Voter Suppression Law Now On Hold, Will Face Referendum on 2012 Ballot
Congrats to all voters of Ohio for successfully pushing back against the GOP’s efforts to keep you from voting in next year’s Presidential election! It’s another win for democracy, and another loss for the Buckeye State’s Republican Gov. John Kasich (following on the recent landslide loss of his anti-union bill at the polls last month.)
Today, Secretary of State John Husted (R), officially certified that opponents of HB194 — the anti-voting bill that would have shortened early voting hours and imposed other big government restrictions on the exercise of the franchise in Ohio — were successful in their effort to place the law on the ballot for a voter referendum in 2012. Thus, the act, passed by the GOP legislature and signed by Kasich earlier this year, is officially suspended for now.
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: email@example.com
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- NYU is built for WAR! (Who knew?)
- HuffPost ran this strong defense of Bobby Kennedy, Jr.—then took it down just minutes later.
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- How NYU squeezes billions from its students—and where that money goes
- The International Human Press
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- Media Channel
- Suburban Guerrilla
- Online Journal
- The Ostroy Report
- Barry Gordon
- Early America
- William Betz
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- History Unfolding
- Talking Points Memo
- Mainstream Baptist
- Democratic Undergroud
- Veterans for Common Sense
- alias Bruce
- t r u t h o u t
- Evil GOP Bastards
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.