On indefinite detention of terror suspects, Obama’s as much to blame as Bush: He compromised and capitulated instead of sticking to principle
President wavered on Guantanamo
BY KAREN J. GREENBERG
NEW YORK DAILY NEWS
This week, the detention policy hatched by the Bush administration reached its pinnacle: a full-fledged codification of the Pentagon as the primary detention authority for crimes related to terrorism.
By rejecting an amendment to eliminate controversial language in a defense spending bill, the Senate gave de facto approval to a provision allowing for the indefinite military detention of individuals accused of terrorism, be they U.S. or foreign citizens.
If this legislation is signed by the President, it will achieve everything that the Cassandras of the war on terror predicted: the removal of constitutional guarantees for U.S. citizens; the further emasculation of the criminal justice system; and the planting of both feet firmly in the camp of detention without due process.
One Comment to “Obama is “against” indefinite detention (again)”
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Please HELP FUND this documentary on JFK’s assassination!
- Talkin’ World War One Blues…
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Please HELP FUND this documentary on JFK's assassination!
- t r u t h o u t
- Veterans for Common Sense
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- Democratic Undergroud
- Media Matters
- Thom Hartmann
- Early America
- Evil GOP Bastards
- Talking Points Memo
- alias Bruce
- History Unfolding
- Online Journal
- William Betz
- The Rude Pudit
- The Ostroy Report
- Media Channel
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- Cody Lyon
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.