And why not? When, over two years ago, Obama gave the speech announcing his imperial policy of “preventive” detention without trial, he was standing in the National Archives, posed with the original Constitution, Bill of Rights and Declaration of Independence.
Thus he and Congress honor our essential freedoms in the deluge of the “war on terror.”
Indefinite Military Detention Measure Passes On Bill Of Rights Day
by Michael McAuliff
First Posted: 12/15/11 05:24 PM ET Updated: 12/15/11 08:30 PM ET
WASHINGTON — The Senate passed a defense bill Thursday that authorizes indefinite detentions of American terrorism suspects, coincidentally acting on the controversial measure on the 220th anniversary of the ratification of the Bill of Rights.
The bill, the National Defense Authorization Act, passed 86 to 13 and is expected to be signed quickly by President Obama, who withdrew a veto threat against the bill Wednesday. Six Democrats, six Republicans and one independent opposed the bill.
Though the legislation passed overwhelmingly, several senators argued that it was threatening fundamental provisions of the Bill of Rights, which is celebrated every Dec. 15.
One Comment to “Indefinite detention bill passes on Bill of Rights Day”
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Please HELP FUND this documentary on JFK’s assassination!
- Talkin’ World War One Blues…
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- Please HELP FUND this documentary on JFK's assassination!
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- How NYU squeezes billions from its students—and where that money goes
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Online Journal
- Barry Gordon
- The Ostroy Report
- William Betz
- Words of Power
- Richard Charnin
- Media Channel
- Cody Lyon
- The International Human Press
- Media Matters
- Suburban Guerrilla
- t r u t h o u t
- Writers Voice
- Election Defense Alliance
- History Unfolding
- Democratic Undergroud
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.