How to lie with headlines – NY Times edition
2011 December 8
by Ian Welsh
So, I’m browsing the NY Times and a title leaps out at me:
Albany Tax Deal to Raise Rate for Highest Earners
The URL says Cuomo, governor of New York.
Odd, I think. I wouldn’t expect Cuomo to raise taxes on rich people. Maybe I’ve misjudged him? Maybe he isn’t just a union busting jerk squishing the small people and covering his butt with things like gay marriage which the corporate interests he serves are good with?
I read further. Paragraph 3:
The long-term impact on the wealthy was described by some as a cut and others as an increase: beginning next year, the highest-income earners will be taxed at a lower rate than at present, but at a higher rate than had been expected with the expiration of the surcharge.
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Please HELP FUND this documentary on JFK’s assassination!
- Talkin’ World War One Blues…
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- How NYU squeezes billions from its students—and where that money goes
- The International Human Press
- Democratic Undergroud
- Richard Charnin
- Early America
- Veterans for Common Sense
- Talking Points Memo
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- Suburban Guerrilla
- William Betz
- Cody Lyon
- Words of Power
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- alias Bruce
- Evil GOP Bastards
- History Unfolding
- Online Journal
- Thom Hartmann
- t r u t h o u t
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.