A combination of black propaganda and the deployment of agents provocateurs. (It’s also the same sort of dirty trick that liberal Cass Sunstein urged against the 9/11 Truth movement.)
This, in any case, is one more way in which the far right magnifies itself through artificial means—making its few millions look like a surging national movement (e.g., like OWS) through propaganda and election fraud. (The corporate media helps too, of course, by giving the Tea Party and its crackpot heroes way more press than they deserve.)
GOP Site Plans To Infiltrate Liberal Sites With “Trolls”
Written by Casey Gane-McCalla, Lead Blogger on July 28, 2011 10:44 am
Right-wing website RedState.com has offered a comprehensive plan for its followers to infiltrate left-wing sites by pretending to be progressives to hurt the Democratic Party.
The list of directions created by the site are below.
First, infiltrate the site. For this, you will have to avoid creating screen names like “GoPalinGo” or “Heartlandredstater.” Also, some websites may actually have you wait a week before you are allowed to comment or blog. Perhaps, they are investigating the e-mail address you give them against whether it is used for a conservative website. Be sure to avoid that tendency; if you use, for example, aol.com screen name for RedState, make sure you use a yahoo e-mail address for Dailykos, or whatever. Once you are there, the second part of the strategy is to gain their trust. For this, you cannot be too overtly gung-ho conservative in your outlook. Instead, you sort of have to be the voice of a moderate liberal. This will take a lot of acting skill, but it could be done. For example, over at ThinkProgress, they had an article about how the folks in Alabama got what they deserved with the recent spate of tornadoes because their legislators did not believe in global warming. It took all my energies not to reach through the Internet and strangle these kooks, but I responded, “Well, that might be going a little too far…” Along the way, I gained the trust of certain posters on that thread.
6 Comments to “GOP site offers plan to infiltrate left/liberal sites with trolls posing as “progressives””
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- “No comparison can be made” between 9/11 and CIA torture, says Dick Cheney (and he would know!)
- Nailed by all-white jury for “election fraud,” Rev. Edward Pinckney faces life in prison
- Is that President Obama’s CIA, or the CIA’s President Obama?
- Rudy Giuliani uses Eric Garner’s death to bash the Teachers Union
- Bush/Cheney convicted of war crimes in absentia
- Zack Taylor on Spooks in academia
- susan on Manhattan’s latest giant eyesore will have three floors just for “maid’s rooms”
- blaze doric on Calling Russia “the aggressor,” US is the one that wants a war
- Jonelle on Did Romney cheat as well as lie?
- Die Woche im Rückspiegel betrachtet | Lars Schall on Forbidden Bookshelf
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- "No comparison can be made" between 9/11 and CIA torture, says Dick Cheney (and he would know!)
- Where the money goes at NYU
- Nailed by all-white jury for "election fraud," Rev. Edward Pinckney faces life in prison
- Veterans for Common Sense
- Early America
- Evil GOP Bastards
- Democratic Undergroud
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- Online Journal
- alias Bruce
- Thom Hartmann
- Media Matters
- The International Human Press
- Words of Power
- The Rude Pudit
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- Writers Voice
- Talking Points Memo
- History Unfolding
- Mainstream Baptist
- t r u t h o u t
- Barry Gordon
- William Betz
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.