Cuz if ANYBODY’s going to hack those caucuses, it’s gonna be Republicans, God damn it! (Doesn’t anyone respect tradition any more??)
By Brad Friedman on 12/19/2011 2:10pm
GOP Fears Iowa Caucus May be Hacked Following Purported Video Threat by ‘Anonymous’
Last minute ‘security by obscurity’ defense unlikely to ensure integrity of results…
Well, whaddaya know? Suddenly, after all these years of warnings from The BRAD BLOG that electronic voting systems are exceedingly vulnerable to manipulation by insider election officials as well as outside hackers from almost anywhere, such as China or Iran or even al Qaeda, the GOP is now worried about electronic vote hacking in their Iowa Caucuses on January 3rd.
“Their fear”, as AP reports today, is triggered by little more than a two-minute video posted on the Internet in early November, purportedly created by the “hacktivist” collective known as Anonymous, calling on members, in a trademark computer-generated voice, to “peacefully shut down the first-in-the-nation Iowa caucuses.” [The complete video is posted at the end of this article.]
Progressive radio and television host Thom Hartmann covered the AP story on his radio show this morning, suggesting that while the GOP may have concerns about Anonymous shutting down or manipulating the results of the Iowa caucuses, they may also attempt to use the opportunity of heightened security to ensure that Republican candidate Ron Paul is not named the winner. A poll released last night by Public Policy Polling (PPP) shows Paul vaulting into the lead in Iowa, as previous front-runner Newt Gingrich’s numbers have collapsed in the Hawkeye State. Paul now leads over Romney in Iowa, according to PPP’s poll, with 23%, followed by Romney at 20% and Gingrich at 14%.
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Democrats are partying like it’s 1952, and they’re Republicans—or Birchers.
- Two more on why Flynn went down…
- Why they made Trump dump Flynn (and what about Obama?)
- What news out of Japan is “fit to print,” according to the New York Times? Their choice could make you sick…
- On “killers” working for OUR government, Trump spoke the truth—and our “free press” freaked out…
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- Democrats are partying like it's 1952, and they're Republicans—or Birchers.
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Two more on why Flynn went down...
- Local sheriff wanted Phillip Marshall's home professionally cleaned after the murder
- Media Matters
- William Betz
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- t r u t h o u t
- Early America
- alias Bruce
- The Rude Pudit
- Richard Charnin
- Online Journal
- The Ostroy Report
- Talking Points Memo
- Thom Hartmann
- Veterans for Common Sense
- Democratic Undergroud
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- Barry Gordon
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.