County: Life, Death and Politics at Chicago’s Public Hospital
by David A. Ansell
‘Patients with toothaches, loose teeth, oral tumors and mouth abscesses lined up in painful silence during the dark hours of the early morning… some in wheelchairs, others with canes and crutches raced to get to the Oral Surgery clinic to win one of the 50 prized slots that guaranteed a dentist would see them.’
>From his start three decades ago as a resident at one of America’s oldest and most battle-scarred public hospitals, the author daily confronted the issue that plagues the nation’s health care to this day: how to deliver quality medical services regardless of race and income.
One of a group of idealistic young doctors in the 1970s, he worked in an antiquated, dirty facility that was the first to serve blacks and immigrants—but was infested with rats and cockroaches and still treated patients in open wards with no air conditioning.
“We were practicing Third World Medicine in Chicago…I shudder to think how many patients I may have harmed or killed because we could not diagnose or treat them quickly enough.” But the doctor is inspired to carry on by the dignity, strength and resolve of the patients who come from violent and crime plagued neighborhoods.
The hospital is often a pawn in Chicago politics, as the staff fights the dumping of patients from other hospitals who refuse to treat the uninsured, and provides care on the front lines of the early AIDS epidemic. There are some triumphs, like a new breast-cancer screening program. But Dr. Ansell, now chief medical officer at Rush University Medical Center, warns that efforts to achieve health equity still have a long way to go.
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Please HELP FUND this documentary on JFK’s assassination!
- Talkin’ World War One Blues…
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Please HELP FUND this documentary on JFK's assassination!
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- William Betz
- Early America
- Evil GOP Bastards
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- Cody Lyon
- History Unfolding
- Richard Charnin
- alias Bruce
- Democratic Undergroud
- Barry Gordon
- Suburban Guerrilla
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- Words of Power
- Thom Hartmann
- The Rude Pudit
- Media Matters
- The International Human Press
- t r u t h o u t
- Writers Voice
- Election Defense Alliance
- Veterans for Common Sense
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.