From Sue Wilson:
Last Wednesday, Clear Channel—the largest radio operator in the US—pulled a fast one on its listeners in Sacramento. It stopped playing soft rock on 92.5 FM, and replaced it with its KFBK programming. (KFBK is the station that launched Rush Limbaugh.) It means that thousands of music listeners have lost their favorite station, and it means that two giant radio stations now play exactly the same programming. It also means that hard right-wing talk will fill another 50,000 watts of OUR PUBLIC AIRWAVES in the Sacramento region, ranging from Lake Tahoe to Santa Rosa. It means our region now gets four stations promoting pro-corporate “conservative” hate speech, but zero stations promoting any opposing ideas.
Nobody is there to counter this propaganda; opposing views are simply not allowed by corporate owner Clear Channel. This is the case in better than 90% of the USA. And Clear Channel’s actions are not limited to Sacramento; they are taking progressive stations off the air across the nation.
“Conservative” talk radio supporters will tell us that this is all about free speech, and if we don’t like it, we should just change the channel.
They are right, it is about free speech. OUR free speech. Where is OUR opportunity to get an alternative message out to our community on OUR PUBLIC AIRWAVES? This is about the health of our democracy. Stations only get licensed to broadcast IF they “serve the public interest.” How is a hard right corporate power grab serving YOUR public interest? Answer: It is not.
We cannot allow this to stand. We need to stand up for our rights as members of this community and tell Clear Channel that we expect ALL of the public to be served by our radio airwaves. We demand equal time for ALL points of view. If they can’t figure out how to make money actually serving the public interest, they should sell their stations to someone locally who can.
Monday, December 12, at NOON, I propose we protest, boycott, promise legal license challenges, and occupy Sacramento Clear Channel’s public files all day, (potentially for days,) as is our legal right to do. Address: 1440 Ethan Way, Sacramento.
And I ask citizens in other cities to join us by inspecting the public files of your Clear Channel stations that same day.
Can you help support this effort by taking a notebook in hand to your local Clear Channel station and inspecting their public files on Monday, Dec. 12th? We would like to frame this as a national action.
3 Comments to “Clear Channel fouls up California’s airwaves with MORE rightist propaganda—in Sacramento!”
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: email@example.com
- “No comparison can be made” between 9/11 and CIA torture, says Dick Cheney (and he would know!)
- Nailed by all-white jury for “election fraud,” Rev. Edward Pinckney faces life in prison
- Is that President Obama’s CIA, or the CIA’s President Obama?
- Rudy Giuliani uses Eric Garner’s death to bash the Teachers Union
- Bush/Cheney convicted of war crimes in absentia
- Zack Taylor on Spooks in academia
- susan on Manhattan’s latest giant eyesore will have three floors just for “maid’s rooms”
- blaze doric on Calling Russia “the aggressor,” US is the one that wants a war
- Jonelle on Did Romney cheat as well as lie?
- Die Woche im Rückspiegel betrachtet | Lars Schall on Forbidden Bookshelf
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- "No comparison can be made" between 9/11 and CIA torture, says Dick Cheney (and he would know!)
- Where the money goes at NYU
- Is that President Obama's CIA, or the CIA's President Obama?
- Barry Gordon
- Talking Points Memo
- The International Human Press
- Evil GOP Bastards
- The Ostroy Report
- Veterans for Common Sense
- Richard Charnin
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- Media Channel
- Online Journal
- Media Matters
- The Rude Pudit
- William Betz
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- Thom Hartmann
- Cody Lyon
- Election Defense Alliance
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- Writers Voice
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.