From Sue Wilson:
Last Wednesday, Clear Channel—the largest radio operator in the US—pulled a fast one on its listeners in Sacramento. It stopped playing soft rock on 92.5 FM, and replaced it with its KFBK programming. (KFBK is the station that launched Rush Limbaugh.) It means that thousands of music listeners have lost their favorite station, and it means that two giant radio stations now play exactly the same programming. It also means that hard right-wing talk will fill another 50,000 watts of OUR PUBLIC AIRWAVES in the Sacramento region, ranging from Lake Tahoe to Santa Rosa. It means our region now gets four stations promoting pro-corporate “conservative” hate speech, but zero stations promoting any opposing ideas.
Nobody is there to counter this propaganda; opposing views are simply not allowed by corporate owner Clear Channel. This is the case in better than 90% of the USA. And Clear Channel’s actions are not limited to Sacramento; they are taking progressive stations off the air across the nation.
“Conservative” talk radio supporters will tell us that this is all about free speech, and if we don’t like it, we should just change the channel.
They are right, it is about free speech. OUR free speech. Where is OUR opportunity to get an alternative message out to our community on OUR PUBLIC AIRWAVES? This is about the health of our democracy. Stations only get licensed to broadcast IF they “serve the public interest.” How is a hard right corporate power grab serving YOUR public interest? Answer: It is not.
We cannot allow this to stand. We need to stand up for our rights as members of this community and tell Clear Channel that we expect ALL of the public to be served by our radio airwaves. We demand equal time for ALL points of view. If they can’t figure out how to make money actually serving the public interest, they should sell their stations to someone locally who can.
Monday, December 12, at NOON, I propose we protest, boycott, promise legal license challenges, and occupy Sacramento Clear Channel’s public files all day, (potentially for days,) as is our legal right to do. Address: 1440 Ethan Way, Sacramento.
And I ask citizens in other cities to join us by inspecting the public files of your Clear Channel stations that same day.
Can you help support this effort by taking a notebook in hand to your local Clear Channel station and inspecting their public files on Monday, Dec. 12th? We would like to frame this as a national action.
3 Comments to “Clear Channel fouls up California’s airwaves with MORE rightist propaganda—in Sacramento!”
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: email@example.com
- Tens of thousands turning out for Bernie Sanders
- How Donald Trump will raise the profile of the White House
- How the players at the (so-called) Robin Hood Foundation want to make us even poorer
- British Special Forces “dressed up as ISIS rebels” fight Assad in Syria
- Citigroup facing federal probe over student loans
- Don’t buy these products from Koch Industries! on
- Wisconsin to buy “all new voting machines”—and Koch/Walker will go on “winning” there FOREVER! on
- Please SIGN Elizabeth Warren’s petition to halt “fast track” of TPP! on
- 2nd Amendment was devised to keep Americans in chains on
- Update on the strange death of Nancy Schaefer on
- NY Fed moving to Chicago, Feds stocking up on ammo, NORAD hunkering down: What's up?
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- How NYU squeezes billions from its students—and where that money goes
- Evil GOP Bastards
- Barry Gordon
- Richard Charnin
- Writers Voice
- Veterans for Common Sense
- Early America
- History Unfolding
- Suburban Guerrilla
- Online Journal
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- Election Defense Alliance
- Media Matters
- t r u t h o u t
- Mainstream Baptist
- William Betz
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- alias Bruce
- The International Human Press
- Media Channel
- Democratic Undergroud
- Talking Points Memo