Clear Channel to End Progressive Talker KKGN in San Francisco. The progressive talk programming currently heard on KKGN, San Francisco – Green 960 – will not go away entirely; it’ll be available online and on the HD-2 channel of sister oldies KKSF-FM, but since so few people have HD radios anyone seeking shows such as Dial Global’s Stephanie Miller and Thom Hartmann and Compass Media Networks’ Norman Goldman will have to find them online. The “death” of Green 960 comes as Clear Channel makes other changes to its Bay Area talk programming. In the New Year, KKGN flips calls to KNEW, picks up the Fox News Radio affiliation and a new lineup including Glenn Beck in AM drive, followed by Dave Ramsey, thenPremiere’s Randi Rhodes (the only holdover from Green 960), and Fox News Radio’s John Gibson. Back at what is currently KNEW (910 AM), that station will take on new calls KKSF and become “San Francisco’s Talk 910 – KKSF.” Armstrong & Getty (piped in from Sacramento) remain in mornings with Dial Global’s Clark Howard, Fox News Radio’s Tom Sullivan and a local PM drive show yet to be announced. What does this mean for the progressive format? Obviously it is a setback for the struggling format, simply because of the loss of a major market. Some observers will point to this situation as an example of the format’s inherent weakness by saying it can’t even make it in San Francisco – one of the most liberal regions in the nation. However others will note that it is harder for a radio format targeted to a political orientation to make it in an area heavily populated by like-minded people because it doesn’t serve a unfilled need. Radio, being a niche medium, often works best in an area where the targeted audience is in the minority and it thus serves to galvanize a critical mass necessary to support a format. That is likely the case in San Francisco.
50 Comments to “Clear Channel ends “Green 960″ in San Francisco; KKGN’s new line-up will include Glenn Beck”
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- How NYU squeezes billions from its students—and where that money goes
- US cops snatch hundreds of millions—legally—from motorists who’ve done no wrong
- Koch fiends in Wisconsin Senate poised to scrap 48-hour wait before handgun purchase
- Comcast throws in the towel, won’t eat Time Warner after all
- “Why Obama Should Pardon Don Siegelman” (Jeffrey Toobin in The New Yorker!)
- Don’t buy these products from Koch Industries! on
- Wisconsin to buy “all new voting machines”—and Koch/Walker will go on “winning” there FOREVER! on
- Please SIGN Elizabeth Warren’s petition to halt “fast track” of TPP! on
- 2nd Amendment was devised to keep Americans in chains on
- Update on the strange death of Nancy Schaefer on
- NY Fed moving to Chicago, Feds stocking up on ammo, NORAD hunkering down: What's up?
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Where the money goes at NYU
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- Early America
- Cody Lyon
- Veterans for Common Sense
- alias Bruce
- Writers Voice
- Talking Points Memo
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- Thom Hartmann
- Richard Charnin
- Election Defense Alliance
- Barry Gordon
- William Betz
- The International Human Press
- History Unfolding
- Media Matters
- Mainstream Baptist
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.