Richard Nixon’s Darkest Secret
November 12, 2011
Exclusive: In just-released Watergate grand jury testimony from 1975, ex-President Richard Nixon complained that his 1968 campaign was bugged by the Johnson administration. But there was little curiosity then – or now – as to why that surveillance was justified, reports Robert Parry.
By Robert Parry
Thirty-six years ago, as former President Richard M. Nixon dodged grand jury questions about his illegal wiretapping of political enemies, he briefly referenced a dark secret about his 1968 campaign’s sabotaging of Vietnam War peace talks, actions which President Lyndon Johnson at the time privately labeled “treason.”
Without providing that historical context, Nixon complained that he and his 1968 campaign had been victims of surveillance and wiretapping, too, as he tried to persuade Watergate prosecutors and the grand jury that bugging opponents was just part of hardball politics.
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: email@example.com
- “Conspiracy theorists” are more rational than those who smear them, study finds
- GOP must “elect” more governors, so they can (continue to) control “voting mechanisms,” Chris Christie says
- ISIS, Inc. (They’re making out like bandits…)
- NYPD arrests a musician for singing, although he broke no law (VIDEO)
- Greece is losing its free press to fascist violence
- Zack Taylor on Spooks in academia
- susan on Manhattan’s latest giant eyesore will have three floors just for “maid’s rooms”
- blaze doric on Calling Russia “the aggressor,” US is the one that wants a war
- Jonelle on Did Romney cheat as well as lie?
- Die Woche im Rückspiegel betrachtet | Lars Schall on Forbidden Bookshelf
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Where the money goes at NYU
- "Conspiracy theorists" are more rational than those who smear them, study finds
- GOP site offers plan to infiltrate left/liberal sites with trolls posing as "progressives"
- Veterans for Common Sense
- Media Matters
- Cody Lyon
- Words of Power
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- Media Channel
- Suburban Guerrilla
- Writers Voice
- Early America
- Mainstream Baptist
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- The International Human Press
- Evil GOP Bastards
- William Betz
- Richard Charnin
- History Unfolding
- Thom Hartmann
- The Rude Pudit
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.