What this country needs—and what the Occupation has made possible—is a national campaign to cancel student debt. And we can make this happen, if a million students
pledge to withhold their debt payments from the banks.
From Bertell Ollman:
This original and potentially very important action that requires your immediate action.
It involves circulating a PLEDGE to those who already owe or will soon owe student debts NOT TO PAY THEM AS SOON AS ONE MILLION PEOPLE ALSO SIGN THE SAME PLEDGE.
Please note that no one is being asked to stop paying their debt now, so no one who simply makes
the pledge is risking any punishment. What happens later… well, obviously that will all depend on many things starting with how many people sign it and how far they are willing to go in carrying it out, since individuals who sign can always opt out.
As the number of signers grow, the possible effects range from – at a minimum – making student
debt a major public issue with banks as well as politicians (esp. in this election year) mixing their threats with offers of debt refrom, to – at a maximum – …. well, given the interrelatedness of all our social and economic problems, I won’t deny you the pleasure of giving free rein to your imaginations
on this one.
The pledge—which you can sign if you’re a student, whether debtor or non-debtor, or if you’re on a university or college faculty—is here:
Excerpt from site:
Welcome to the Occupy Student Debt Campaign. This campaign is a response to the student debt crisis and the dependency of U.S. higher education on debt-financing from the people it is supposed to serve. There is no justice in a system that openly invites profiteering on the part of lenders. Education is a right and a public good, and it should be properly funded as such.
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Please HELP FUND this documentary on JFK’s assassination!
- Talkin’ World War One Blues…
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Please HELP FUND this documentary on JFK's assassination!
- Evil GOP Bastards
- Thom Hartmann
- Online Journal
- Words of Power
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- t r u t h o u t
- Barry Gordon
- Democratic Undergroud
- alias Bruce
- Media Channel
- Talking Points Memo
- Richard Charnin
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- Mainstream Baptist
- Suburban Guerrilla
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- The Ostroy Report
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.