Politifactoid parses Walker pay raise
Submitted by Man MKE on Fri, 10/28/2011 – 8:45pm
So after bloggers (including yours truly) pointed out that a chart in the state’s new compensation plan showed a 5.4% pay raise for the governor, the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel’s Politifact department issued a “false.” The governor isn’t giving himself a pay raise, Politifact said. Actually, it’s just that he’s already received one.
Oh, well, that’s different. Never mind. NOT.
The importance of Walker earning considerably more than the last guy to sit in his chair isn’t that Wisconsin governors aren’t legally able to receive raises in the same term they’re approved. The state compensation plan and this blog pointed that out up front. Rather, the issue is that Walker took the raise when he assumed office — and did so at the same time he was secretly plotting to cut the compensation of 40,000 state employees by at least the same percentage of his increase, and in some cases more.
Do you ever recall before today’s Politifact piece any mainstream news story pointing out that Walker’s paycheck is about $7,000 greater than Jim Doyle’s? Especially in the context that even before his election, Walker made noise about clawing back public employee compensation? Now, thanks to Politifact’s blunderbuss, lots more people know that Walker is the highest paid Wisconsin governor ever — and that he’s said nothing whatsoever about declining that salary boost that was waiting for him on his new desk.
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: email@example.com
- Please HELP FUND this documentary on JFK’s assassination!
- Talkin’ World War One Blues…
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Please HELP FUND this documentary on JFK's assassination!
- How NYU squeezes billions from its students—and where that money goes
- The International Human Press
- Election Defense Alliance
- Media Channel
- Talking Points Memo
- Richard Charnin
- Media Matters
- The Rude Pudit
- Democratic Undergroud
- The Ostroy Report
- t r u t h o u t
- History Unfolding
- Suburban Guerrilla
- Thom Hartmann
- Mainstream Baptist
- Evil GOP Bastards
- William Betz
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- Early America
- Veterans for Common Sense
- Cody Lyon
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.