US Poor Now Number 49 Million, Wealth Gap Between Young and Old Reaches Record Highs
By Julianne Escobedo Shepherd, AlterNet
Posted on November 7, 2011, Printed on November 7, 2011
Wealth disparity in America is becoming ever more prevalent, according to Census data and analysis done by Pew Research Center—and we’re reaching record highs. First, new Census data from 2010 determined the amount of Americans living in poverty is up to 49.1 million—up 3 million from September’s official poverty measure—meaning that 16 percent of Americans are living in poverty, with a newly raised poverty line of $24,343 for a family of two adults and two children.
Second: the wealth gap between the young and old has increased dramatically, reaching its own record highs. According to Pew analysis, households headed by those 65 or older are a whopping 47 times richer than households headed by those 35 and under. The net income of younger Americans has declined 68% since 1984, while that of older Americans has actually increased by 42%. So what’s to blame? Exactly what the 99% percent are protesting: the housing bubble, bad mortgages, crippling student loans, and other disproportionate burdens placed upon the young by the country’s biggest banks. CNN Money:
“Most of today’s older homeowners got into the housing market long ago, at ‘pre-bubble’ prices,” the report said. “Along with everyone else, they’ve been hurt by the housing market collapse of recent years, but over the long haul, most have seen their home equities rise.”
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Please HELP FUND this documentary on JFK’s assassination!
- Talkin’ World War One Blues…
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- Please HELP FUND this documentary on JFK's assassination!
- How NYU squeezes billions from its students—and where that money goes
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Online Journal
- Words of Power
- The Ostroy Report
- Early America
- Veterans for Common Sense
- Barry Gordon
- The Rude Pudit
- History Unfolding
- Mainstream Baptist
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- Democratic Undergroud
- Talking Points Memo
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- Writers Voice
- Media Channel
- Thom Hartmann
- Richard Charnin
- Media Matters
- alias Bruce
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.