The Crash of 1929 Was Just a Prelude: Truthout Interviews Whistleblower-Novelist Nomi Prins
Thursday 17 November 2011
by: Mark Karlin, Truthout | Interview
Nomi Prins, author of “Black Tuesday.” (Photo: Official Nomi Prins Page)
Mark Karlin: Given your expertise in understanding the corruption of Wall Street, what did you find in the practices of the financial world leading up to the 1929 crash that presaged the 2007 crisis?
Nomi Prins: Into the crash of 1929, there were six big banks. Their leaders controlled most of the market activity, sat on each others’ boards and owned large chunks of stock in each others’ firms. They inflated the values of stocks through “trusts” (financial mechanisms by which many investors could “pool” together their money, and borrowed money, to purchase or sell various stocks in bulk).
These were further puffed up by a co-opted media and enabling political leaders (as depicted in “Black Tuesday.”) Even as the crash happened, the biggest bankers thought they could contain it and could buoy stocks until the market settled, so they threw in their own (read: customers’) money. That didn’t work, of course. The financial markets and lending systems collapsed.
Today, we have six banks (mostly incarnations of the 1929 banks) that control the stock market, most mortgage lending, the bulk of deposits and nearly all derivatives activity. They inflated the housing market, in particular subprime loans, so they could stuff those loans into more complicated assets, borrowing hundreds of trillion of dollars against them, increased their risk through derivatives and spread them throughout the globe. When it became apparent these assets didn’t have the value that banks said they did, the market, they got federally bailed out, while the Main Street economy sank.
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: email@example.com
- Please HELP FUND this documentary on JFK’s assassination!
- Talkin’ World War One Blues…
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- How NYU squeezes billions from its students—and where that money goes
- Early America
- The International Human Press
- Suburban Guerrilla
- Richard Charnin
- William Betz
- Words of Power
- alias Bruce
- Democratic Undergroud
- The Ostroy Report
- Writers Voice
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- Cody Lyon
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- Election Defense Alliance
- The Rude Pudit
- Media Matters
- Talking Points Memo
- History Unfolding
- Evil GOP Bastards
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.