This despite the noisy optimism of progressives—not just in Wisconsin but all over—since Election Day, which showed, they think, that they can kick the right’s ass anywhere they want, and from now on.
Now, maybe Walker’s just pretending. Or maybe he knows something they don’t know (or want to know): that vote suppression and election fraud—via the electronic voting system—can always “win” the day, as long as the election can be made to seem even remotely “close.”
Remember how progressives tried to recall the Waukesha Strangler—and failed? And do you remember how they tried to recall enough Republican state senators (three)—to break the GOP’s majority, and failed? (They recalled two—and saw that as a victory.)
If you remember those two failures, which weren’t very long ago, perhaps you can explain why they (progressives) don’t.
In any case, let’s hope that (a) they do succeed in getting enough signatures to make the recall happen, and then (b) the people of Wisconsin vote for it in such large numbers that the Walker apparat can’t steal enough of those votes to “win” it credibly.
But let’s hope too that (c), if Walker does “prevail” (by using the same measures that most likely “elected” him to start with), progressives don’t just slink away assuming that his “victory” was real, but that they question it aggressively, taking note of all the numbers that just don’t add up, and all the glitches and irregularities and crimes reported on Election Day (by would-be voters and the press), and don’t give up, even if they’re called “sore losers,” until they get some truth, and we all know it.
If they do that, despite their “loss” they will, in fact, have scored a major victory, by finally snapping out their bizarre denial of the election fraud in the United States, so that We the People can at last discuss the necessary radical reform of the preposterous corporate voting system that the far right has been using, for the last ten years, to “win” that way time after time.
One Comment to “Scott Walker confident of “victory””
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: email@example.com
- Democrats are partying like it’s 1952, and they’re Republicans—or Birchers.
- Two more on why Flynn went down…
- Why they made Trump dump Flynn (and what about Obama?)
- What news out of Japan is “fit to print,” according to the New York Times? Their choice could make you sick…
- On “killers” working for OUR government, Trump spoke the truth—and our “free press” freaked out…
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- Democrats are partying like it's 1952, and they're Republicans—or Birchers.
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- Two more on why Flynn went down...
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Local sheriff wanted Phillip Marshall's home professionally cleaned after the murder
- Veterans for Common Sense
- Talking Points Memo
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- Online Journal
- Thom Hartmann
- The International Human Press
- Barry Gordon
- alias Bruce
- Cody Lyon
- Words of Power
- t r u t h o u t
- Election Defense Alliance
- The Rude Pudit
- Richard Charnin
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- Media Matters
- Democratic Undergroud
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.