This despite the noisy optimism of progressives—not just in Wisconsin but all over—since Election Day, which showed, they think, that they can kick the right’s ass anywhere they want, and from now on.
Now, maybe Walker’s just pretending. Or maybe he knows something they don’t know (or want to know): that vote suppression and election fraud—via the electronic voting system—can always “win” the day, as long as the election can be made to seem even remotely “close.”
Remember how progressives tried to recall the Waukesha Strangler—and failed? And do you remember how they tried to recall enough Republican state senators (three)—to break the GOP’s majority, and failed? (They recalled two—and saw that as a victory.)
If you remember those two failures, which weren’t very long ago, perhaps you can explain why they (progressives) don’t.
In any case, let’s hope that (a) they do succeed in getting enough signatures to make the recall happen, and then (b) the people of Wisconsin vote for it in such large numbers that the Walker apparat can’t steal enough of those votes to “win” it credibly.
But let’s hope too that (c), if Walker does “prevail” (by using the same measures that most likely “elected” him to start with), progressives don’t just slink away assuming that his “victory” was real, but that they question it aggressively, taking note of all the numbers that just don’t add up, and all the glitches and irregularities and crimes reported on Election Day (by would-be voters and the press), and don’t give up, even if they’re called “sore losers,” until they get some truth, and we all know it.
If they do that, despite their “loss” they will, in fact, have scored a major victory, by finally snapping out their bizarre denial of the election fraud in the United States, so that We the People can at last discuss the necessary radical reform of the preposterous corporate voting system that the far right has been using, for the last ten years, to “win” that way time after time.
One Comment to “Scott Walker confident of “victory””
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Please HELP FUND this documentary on JFK’s assassination!
- Talkin’ World War One Blues…
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Please HELP FUND this documentary on JFK's assassination!
- alias Bruce
- Election Defense Alliance
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- Richard Charnin
- Barry Gordon
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- History Unfolding
- Words of Power
- The International Human Press
- Evil GOP Bastards
- Suburban Guerrilla
- Early America
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- Media Channel
- Cody Lyon
- Thom Hartmann
- Democratic Undergroud
- Writers Voice
- The Rude Pudit
- Media Matters
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.