Drinking Liberally Waukesha Kickoff a Huge Success!
Scott Walker Fires First in “War on Christmas”
by STEVEN REYNOLDS on NOVEMBER 8, 2011
Sure, the first time Scott Walker poked his finger in the eyes of his constituents it was to banish collective bargaining among government workers in the state. Everyone knows the furor this caused, and as Mary C. DeBattista of Wauwatosa notes, the furor is chiefly because it was based in dishonesty. He did not mention his plans at all during his campaign. Public employee collective bargaining in Wisconsin was a tradition here for a couple generations, and Scott Walker took tradition and threw it in the trash, and it is therefore unsurprising that protests and recalls were the result.
Well, Scott Walker’s doing it again, though this time there may not be such furor. Still, the evergreen in the Capitol Rotunda in Madison has been called a “Holiday Tree” for 25 years. Scott Walker has decided to rename it a “Christmas Tree” by fiat this year. There can be no interpretation of Walker’s act other than that it is an act of poking the people of Wisconsin in the eye once more. From the Racine Journal Times:
The Madison-based Freedom From Religion Foundation has opposed the term Christmas tree, saying it offends nonreligious people and amounts to a government endorsement of Christianity.
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- NYU is built for WAR! (Who knew?)
- HuffPost ran this strong defense of Bobby Kennedy, Jr.—then took it down just minutes later.
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Update on the strange death of Nancy Schaefer
- t r u t h o u t
- Barry Gordon
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- Veterans for Common Sense
- The Rude Pudit
- Media Channel
- History Unfolding
- Media Matters
- Evil GOP Bastards
- Mainstream Baptist
- The Ostroy Report
- Talking Points Memo
- The International Human Press
- Words of Power
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- Suburban Guerrilla
- Writers Voice
- Election Defense Alliance
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.