An Iraq-WMD Replay on Iran?
November 8, 2011
The U.S. press corps and “independent” American weapons experts got almost everything wrong about Iraq’s purported WMD before the U.S. invasion in 2003. Now, much the same cast is returning to interpret dubious intelligence about Iran’s nuclear program, reports Robert Parry.
By Robert Parry
The American public is about to be inundated with another flood of “expert analysis” about a dangerous Middle Eastern country presumably hiding a secret nuclear weapons program that may require a military strike, although this time it is Iran, not Iraq.
In the near future, you will be seeing more satellite photos of non-descript buildings that experts will say are housing elements of a nuclear bomb factory. There will be more diagrams of supposed nuclear devices. Some of the same talking heads will reappear to interpret this new “evidence.”
You might even recognize some of those familiar faces from the more innocent days of 2002-2003 when they explained, with unnerving confidence, how Iraq’s Saddam Hussein surely had chemical and biological weapons and likely a nuclear weapons program, too.
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: email@example.com
- “Conspiracy theorists” are more rational than those who smear them, study finds
- GOP must “elect” more governors, so they can (continue to) control “voting mechanisms,” Chris Christie says
- ISIS, Inc. (They’re making out like bandits…)
- NYPD arrests a musician for singing, although he broke no law (VIDEO)
- Greece is losing its free press to fascist violence
- Zack Taylor on Spooks in academia
- susan on Manhattan’s latest giant eyesore will have three floors just for “maid’s rooms”
- blaze doric on Calling Russia “the aggressor,” US is the one that wants a war
- Jonelle on Did Romney cheat as well as lie?
- Die Woche im Rückspiegel betrachtet | Lars Schall on Forbidden Bookshelf
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Where the money goes at NYU
- GOP site offers plan to infiltrate left/liberal sites with trolls posing as "progressives"
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- Media Channel
- Veterans for Common Sense
- alias Bruce
- Richard Charnin
- Media Matters
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- Suburban Guerrilla
- The Rude Pudit
- Words of Power
- William Betz
- Online Journal
- The International Human Press
- Cody Lyon
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- History Unfolding
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- Writers Voice
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.