An Iraq-WMD Replay on Iran?
November 8, 2011
The U.S. press corps and “independent” American weapons experts got almost everything wrong about Iraq’s purported WMD before the U.S. invasion in 2003. Now, much the same cast is returning to interpret dubious intelligence about Iran’s nuclear program, reports Robert Parry.
By Robert Parry
The American public is about to be inundated with another flood of “expert analysis” about a dangerous Middle Eastern country presumably hiding a secret nuclear weapons program that may require a military strike, although this time it is Iran, not Iraq.
In the near future, you will be seeing more satellite photos of non-descript buildings that experts will say are housing elements of a nuclear bomb factory. There will be more diagrams of supposed nuclear devices. Some of the same talking heads will reappear to interpret this new “evidence.”
You might even recognize some of those familiar faces from the more innocent days of 2002-2003 when they explained, with unnerving confidence, how Iraq’s Saddam Hussein surely had chemical and biological weapons and likely a nuclear weapons program, too.
The Hidden History of the JFK Assassination
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- NYU gave John Sexton’s son a duplex in the Village, despite a “severe housing shortage” for the faculty
- Kiev brownshirts thrash a presidential candidate as NYTimes hollers “2 + 2 = 5!” (3 items)
- Kiev junta orders military to attack pro-Russian protesters (just after CIA’s John Brennan pays a secret visit there), says Yanukovich
- Holocaust memorial in Odessa (Ukraine) vandalized with swastikas
- Hillary loves Boeing, just like Bush/Cheney did
- ray on Don’t buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Bruce P., M.D. on After David Koch leaves NIH board, NIH classifies formaldehyde—a big Koch product—as a cause of cancer
- Jonny Fredagsvik on MetroPCS is blocking Netflix, Skype and other sites–unless you pay extra
- Uncle Sam on Don’t buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Brian on In California, GMO food labeling law will be on ballots on Election Day!
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Kiev brownshirts thrash a presidential candidate as NYTimes hollers "2 + 2 = 5!" (3 items)
- Where the money goes at NYU
- NYU gave John Sexton's son a duplex in the Village, despite a "severe housing shortage" for the faculty
- Obama didn't prosecute Bush/Cheney out of fear he'd end up like Paul Wellstone
- Thom Hartmann
- History Unfolding
- Veterans for Common Sense
- The International Human Press
- Suburban Guerrilla
- Democratic Undergroud
- t r u t h o u t
- William Betz
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- Mainstream Baptist
- Media Matters
- Words of Power
- Early America
- Online Journal
- alias Bruce
- The Rude Pudit
- Cody Lyon
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.