Apparently only 8% of voters selected Lee as their first ranked or 2nd or 3rd, but that was enough for big-money-backed candidate Ed Lee to win, even though he had never run for office.
E-voting companies can really go to town using ranked choice voting.
How Ranked-Choice Voting Silenced 31,500 Voters
The Bay Citizen’s analysis of SF’s mayoral election reveals limits of the voting systemBy SHANE SHIFFLETT on November 23, 2011 – 5:15 p.m. PST
Sixteen percent of San Francisco voters who filled out their ballots correctly and completely — more than 31,500 people — did not have a say in the final outcome of the city’s mayoral race, according to The Bay Citizen’s analysis of election results.
Their ballots were discarded or exhausted, because they did not list either Ed Lee, the eventual winner, or runner-up John Avalos as one of their top three candidates. Unlike other cities, San Francisco does not allow voters to rank all the candidates on the ballot.
The analysis renews questions about the fairness of the city’s ranked-choice voting system at a time when supervisors are considering repealing it.
3 Comments to “Ranked-choice voting is great stuff if you want computerized elections, but lousy if you want democracy”
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: email@example.com
- Please HELP FUND this documentary on JFK’s assassination!
- Talkin’ World War One Blues…
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Please HELP FUND this documentary on JFK's assassination!
- Online Journal
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- Thom Hartmann
- Suburban Guerrilla
- Evil GOP Bastards
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- Cody Lyon
- Media Channel
- Media Matters
- The International Human Press
- Democratic Undergroud
- History Unfolding
- t r u t h o u t
- Barry Gordon
- Veterans for Common Sense
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- Mainstream Baptist
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.