Update: ‘Occupy’ crackdowns coordinated with federal law enforcement officials
Minneapolis Top News Examiner
November 15, 2011
Over the past ten days, more than a dozen cities have moved to evict “Occupy” protesters from city parks and other public spaces. As was the case in last night’s move in New York City, each of the police actions shares a number of characteristics. And according to one Justice official, each of those actions was coordinated with help from Homeland Security, the FBI and other federal police agencies.
The official, who spoke on background to me late Monday evening, said that while local police agencies had received tactical and planning advice from national agencies, the ultimate decision on how each jurisdiction handles the Occupy protests ultimately rests with local law enforcement.
According to this official, in several recent conference calls and briefings, local police agencies were advised to seek a legal reason to evict residents of tent cities, focusing on zoning laws and existing curfew rules. Agencies were also advised to demonstrate a massive show of police force, including large numbers in riot gear. In particular, the FBI reportedly advised on press relations, with one presentation suggesting that any moves to evict protesters be coordinated for a time when the press was the least likely to be present.
71 Comments to “Raids on OWS coordinated with Obama’s FBI, Homeland Security & others”
CONSPIRACY THEORY IN AMERICA
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: email@example.com
- Now you see it, soon you won’t: Welcome to the memory hole
- Guardian has published only 1% of what Snowden gave them
- CIA’s contra/cocaine scheme was a REAL conspiracy, not a “theory”
- What’s the matter with Alabama? Roger Shuler kept in jail indefinitely, paraded into court IN CHAINS
- Does Rachel Maddow lay off MSNBC sponsors?
- wombat on What’s the matter with Alabama? Roger Shuler kept in jail indefinitely, paraded into court IN CHAINS
- Fukushima’s toxic ocean plume will reach US waters in 2014 :: News … | Save The Pacific Ocean on Fukushima’s toxic ocean plume will reach US waters in 2014
- Gus Wynn on Does Rachel Maddow lay off MSNBC sponsors?
- Robin Roland on Score one (at last) for the Election Integrity movement!
- Julie on Does Rachel Maddow lay off MSNBC sponsors?
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- CIA's contra/cocaine scheme was a REAL conspiracy, not a "theory"
- Here are many MORE things NOT to buy from Koch...
- MetroPCS is blocking Netflix, Skype and other sites--unless you pay extra
- Iceland got over the recession fast—by jailing the banksters, and bailing out the people
- The Rude Pudit
- Election Defense Alliance
- Media Channel
- Evil GOP Bastards
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- Barry Gordon
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- Words of Power
- Online Journal
- Thom Hartmann
- Talking Points Memo
- Veterans for Common Sense
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- William Betz
- Media Matters
- Writers Voice
- Mainstream Baptist
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.