Update: ‘Occupy’ crackdowns coordinated with federal law enforcement officials
Minneapolis Top News Examiner
November 15, 2011
Over the past ten days, more than a dozen cities have moved to evict “Occupy” protesters from city parks and other public spaces. As was the case in last night’s move in New York City, each of the police actions shares a number of characteristics. And according to one Justice official, each of those actions was coordinated with help from Homeland Security, the FBI and other federal police agencies.
The official, who spoke on background to me late Monday evening, said that while local police agencies had received tactical and planning advice from national agencies, the ultimate decision on how each jurisdiction handles the Occupy protests ultimately rests with local law enforcement.
According to this official, in several recent conference calls and briefings, local police agencies were advised to seek a legal reason to evict residents of tent cities, focusing on zoning laws and existing curfew rules. Agencies were also advised to demonstrate a massive show of police force, including large numbers in riot gear. In particular, the FBI reportedly advised on press relations, with one presentation suggesting that any moves to evict protesters be coordinated for a time when the press was the least likely to be present.
71 Comments to “Raids on OWS coordinated with Obama’s FBI, Homeland Security & others”
The Hidden History of the JFK Assassination
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- MCM talks about Forbidden Bookshelf (dynamite interview with Peter B. Collins)
- St. Louis cops pick off another citizen, then lie about it (VIDEO)
- This is the way the world ends—not with a bang, but a Happy Meal
- Those robo-cops in Ferguson—and not just there—are out to kill the poor (MUST-READ by Kareem Abdul-Jabbar)
- Detroit protesters win a moratorium on water shutoff, call for probe of vast corruption
- best diaper bag reviews on Prop 89
- Defective Airbag on More Americans think Snowden is a patriot than a traitor
- wine bar lakeland on More Americans think Snowden is a patriot than a traitor
- Jonelle on Did Romney cheat as well as lie?
- Die Woche im Rückspiegel betrachtet | Lars Schall on Forbidden Bookshelf
- Russians offer evidence of Kiev's trigger hand in MH17 downing
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Shooting unarmed black men is a normal thing for US cops, who often get away with it
- Fukushima is still poisoning the world
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- Barry Gordon
- Early America
- Talking Points Memo
- William Betz
- History Unfolding
- Media Channel
- Media Matters
- alias Bruce
- Words of Power
- The Ostroy Report
- Suburban Guerrilla
- t r u t h o u t
- Democratic Undergroud
- Veterans for Common Sense
- Election Defense Alliance
- Mainstream Baptist
- Online Journal
- Evil GOP Bastards
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.