Update: ‘Occupy’ crackdowns coordinated with federal law enforcement officials
Minneapolis Top News Examiner
November 15, 2011
Over the past ten days, more than a dozen cities have moved to evict “Occupy” protesters from city parks and other public spaces. As was the case in last night’s move in New York City, each of the police actions shares a number of characteristics. And according to one Justice official, each of those actions was coordinated with help from Homeland Security, the FBI and other federal police agencies.
The official, who spoke on background to me late Monday evening, said that while local police agencies had received tactical and planning advice from national agencies, the ultimate decision on how each jurisdiction handles the Occupy protests ultimately rests with local law enforcement.
According to this official, in several recent conference calls and briefings, local police agencies were advised to seek a legal reason to evict residents of tent cities, focusing on zoning laws and existing curfew rules. Agencies were also advised to demonstrate a massive show of police force, including large numbers in riot gear. In particular, the FBI reportedly advised on press relations, with one presentation suggesting that any moves to evict protesters be coordinated for a time when the press was the least likely to be present.
71 Comments to “Raids on OWS coordinated with Obama’s FBI, Homeland Security & others”
The Hidden History of the JFK Assassination
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: email@example.com
- Britain’s Greens say NO to inequality
- Let the beavers save us—and the planet—from ourselves (2)
- On the massacre in Gaza, silence = complicity
- Beavers will help save the West (if we can save the beavers)
- 77 million Americans face debt collectors
- Gary Ravetto on Don’t let them STARVE Don Siegelman!
- ray on Don’t buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Bruce P., M.D. on After David Koch leaves NIH board, NIH classifies formaldehyde—a big Koch product—as a cause of cancer
- Jonny Fredagsvik on MetroPCS is blocking Netflix, Skype and other sites–unless you pay extra
- Uncle Sam on Don’t buy these products from Koch Industries!
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Lest we forget: US shot down a civilian airliner, killing 290 people; then lied about it (and never apologized)
- FL cop forces drunk man to move his car, then shoots him dead when he bumps into other cars
- URGENT! Don and Lori Siegelman need your help!
- History Unfolding
- Evil GOP Bastards
- The Rude Pudit
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- Cody Lyon
- Veterans for Common Sense
- Election Defense Alliance
- Early America
- William Betz
- t r u t h o u t
- Media Channel
- Democratic Undergroud
- Mainstream Baptist
- Talking Points Memo
- Barry Gordon
- Richard Charnin
- The International Human Press
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.