Update: ‘Occupy’ crackdowns coordinated with federal law enforcement officials
Minneapolis Top News Examiner
November 15, 2011
Over the past ten days, more than a dozen cities have moved to evict “Occupy” protesters from city parks and other public spaces. As was the case in last night’s move in New York City, each of the police actions shares a number of characteristics. And according to one Justice official, each of those actions was coordinated with help from Homeland Security, the FBI and other federal police agencies.
The official, who spoke on background to me late Monday evening, said that while local police agencies had received tactical and planning advice from national agencies, the ultimate decision on how each jurisdiction handles the Occupy protests ultimately rests with local law enforcement.
According to this official, in several recent conference calls and briefings, local police agencies were advised to seek a legal reason to evict residents of tent cities, focusing on zoning laws and existing curfew rules. Agencies were also advised to demonstrate a massive show of police force, including large numbers in riot gear. In particular, the FBI reportedly advised on press relations, with one presentation suggesting that any moves to evict protesters be coordinated for a time when the press was the least likely to be present.
71 Comments to “Raids on OWS coordinated with Obama’s FBI, Homeland Security & others”
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Sen. Markey looking into bogus climate studies funded by Big Oil and Coal
- US to send 300 military “instructors” to Ukraine
- Bibi’s big mouth threatening the neo-con agenda? Even Robert Kagan doesn’t want him bellowing in Congress
- Google plans to rank websites according to their “truthfulness” (GOT THAT?)
- US military officers in ethical collapse, at every level guilty of “dishonesty and deception” (Army War College report)
- Please SIGN Elizabeth Warren’s petition to halt “fast track” of TPP! on
- Education should be free, and so should student debtors on
- Exit polls in Florida show Democrat way, way ahead in race for governor on
- Don’t buy these products from Koch Industries! on
- PETITION to the US State Department from the family of Dr. Robert Black on
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- Gitmo on Lake Michigan: Chicago PD's "black site" is a glaring crime against the Bill of Rights
- Where the money goes at NYU
- Mainstream Baptist
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- Writers Voice
- Words of Power
- alias Bruce
- Cody Lyon
- William Betz
- Suburban Guerrilla
- Election Defense Alliance
- History Unfolding
- Early America
- t r u t h o u t
- Barry Gordon
- Media Channel
- Online Journal
- Evil GOP Bastards
- Richard Charnin
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- Veterans for Common Sense
- The International Human Press
- Democratic Undergroud
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.