See also Rachel Maddow’s report, w/ Jeff Sharlet at Occupy Writers:
OWS Library Safe and Sound; Held Captive By City
By Drew Grant 11/15 4:30pm
While Occupy Wall Street demonstrators are waiting to hear the verdict on whether or not they’ll be let back in to Zuccotti Park this evening, there’s at least a glimmer of good news. Mayor Bloomberg did not burn all their books out of spite!
Thirty minutes ago, @NYCMayorsOffice, the city’s official Twitter account, posted the picture on the left along with the following text: Property from #Zuccotti, incl #OWSlibrary, safely stored @ 57th St Sanit Garage; can be picked up Weds
This should be heartening news to book lovers like Rolling Stone‘s Jeff Sharlett, who tweeted earlier that he saw the books being thrown in dumpsters, and OWS itself, which tweeted about the People’s Library being “destroyed.” Ironically, the NYPD seems to have handled the books with more care than the actual protesters. As one person on Twitter put it, “I guess this is like a kidnapper’s proof of life picture to show us our books are still alive.”
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- “Conspiracy theorists” are more rational than those who smear them, study finds
- GOP must “elect” more governors, so they can (continue to) control “voting mechanisms,” Chris Christie says
- ISIS, Inc. (They’re making out like bandits…)
- NYPD arrests a musician for singing, although he broke no law (VIDEO)
- Greece is losing its free press to fascist violence
- Zack Taylor on Spooks in academia
- susan on Manhattan’s latest giant eyesore will have three floors just for “maid’s rooms”
- blaze doric on Calling Russia “the aggressor,” US is the one that wants a war
- Jonelle on Did Romney cheat as well as lie?
- Die Woche im Rückspiegel betrachtet | Lars Schall on Forbidden Bookshelf
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Where the money goes at NYU
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- "Conspiracy theorists" are more rational than those who smear them, study finds
- Talking Points Memo
- Words of Power
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- The Ostroy Report
- Richard Charnin
- alias Bruce
- Thom Hartmann
- History Unfolding
- Suburban Guerrilla
- Veterans for Common Sense
- Media Matters
- Media Channel
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- Barry Gordon
- Early America
- The Rude Pudit
- Cody Lyon
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.