See also Rachel Maddow’s report, w/ Jeff Sharlet at Occupy Writers:
OWS Library Safe and Sound; Held Captive By City
By Drew Grant 11/15 4:30pm
While Occupy Wall Street demonstrators are waiting to hear the verdict on whether or not they’ll be let back in to Zuccotti Park this evening, there’s at least a glimmer of good news. Mayor Bloomberg did not burn all their books out of spite!
Thirty minutes ago, @NYCMayorsOffice, the city’s official Twitter account, posted the picture on the left along with the following text: Property from #Zuccotti, incl #OWSlibrary, safely stored @ 57th St Sanit Garage; can be picked up Weds
This should be heartening news to book lovers like Rolling Stone‘s Jeff Sharlett, who tweeted earlier that he saw the books being thrown in dumpsters, and OWS itself, which tweeted about the People’s Library being “destroyed.” Ironically, the NYPD seems to have handled the books with more care than the actual protesters. As one person on Twitter put it, “I guess this is like a kidnapper’s proof of life picture to show us our books are still alive.”
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Join Us! Save Our Parks/Save the Village, Rally and Press Conference Featuring a Performance by the World Famous STOMP
- “Putin’s a Jew”: Guardian reports (yet downplays) Nazi thrust of Kiev’s eastern drive
- Dept. of the Glaringly Obvious: GOP doesn’t want majority to vote because majority would not elect Republicans
- 53 million US workers—1 out of every 3—is a “freelancer”
- More questions about those “beheadings”
- susan on Manhattan’s latest giant eyesore will have three floors just for “maid’s rooms”
- blaze doric on Calling Russia “the aggressor,” US is the one that wants a war
- Jonelle on Did Romney cheat as well as lie?
- Die Woche im Rückspiegel betrachtet | Lars Schall on Forbidden Bookshelf
- http://iclworld.ru on Eight BIG PROBLEMS with the “case” against Assange (MUST-READ by Naomi Wolf)
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- More questions about those "beheadings"
- MetroPCS is blocking Netflix, Skype and other sites--unless you pay extra
- What's up with these "beheadings"?
- Online Journal
- Early America
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- The Rude Pudit
- The Ostroy Report
- Evil GOP Bastards
- Barry Gordon
- History Unfolding
- Cody Lyon
- t r u t h o u t
- Election Defense Alliance
- alias Bruce
- Media Matters
- Media Channel
- Thom Hartmann
- Democratic Undergroud
- Richard Charnin
- The International Human Press
- Words of Power
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.