See also Rachel Maddow’s report, w/ Jeff Sharlet at Occupy Writers:
OWS Library Safe and Sound; Held Captive By City
By Drew Grant 11/15 4:30pm
While Occupy Wall Street demonstrators are waiting to hear the verdict on whether or not they’ll be let back in to Zuccotti Park this evening, there’s at least a glimmer of good news. Mayor Bloomberg did not burn all their books out of spite!
Thirty minutes ago, @NYCMayorsOffice, the city’s official Twitter account, posted the picture on the left along with the following text: Property from #Zuccotti, incl #OWSlibrary, safely stored @ 57th St Sanit Garage; can be picked up Weds
This should be heartening news to book lovers like Rolling Stone‘s Jeff Sharlett, who tweeted earlier that he saw the books being thrown in dumpsters, and OWS itself, which tweeted about the People’s Library being “destroyed.” Ironically, the NYPD seems to have handled the books with more care than the actual protesters. As one person on Twitter put it, “I guess this is like a kidnapper’s proof of life picture to show us our books are still alive.”
The Hidden History of the JFK Assassination
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- 77 million Americans face debt collectors
- A look back at how the US destroyed Libya
- Howling over Putin’s crimes (?), US backs the killers in Ukraine and Gaza
- Why do university administrators get paid so much (and for doing WHAT, exactly)?
- How natural gas—Obama’s panacea—-makes global warming WORSE
- Gary Ravetto on Don’t let them STARVE Don Siegelman!
- ray on Don’t buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Bruce P., M.D. on After David Koch leaves NIH board, NIH classifies formaldehyde—a big Koch product—as a cause of cancer
- Jonny Fredagsvik on MetroPCS is blocking Netflix, Skype and other sites–unless you pay extra
- Uncle Sam on Don’t buy these products from Koch Industries!
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Lest we forget: US shot down a civilian airliner, killing 290 people; then lied about it (and never apologized)
- FL cop forces drunk man to move his car, then shoots him dead when he bumps into other cars
- URGENT! Don and Lori Siegelman need your help!
- Media Matters
- alias Bruce
- Richard Charnin
- Barry Gordon
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- Talking Points Memo
- The International Human Press
- Thom Hartmann
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- Mainstream Baptist
- William Betz
- Early America
- t r u t h o u t
- Evil GOP Bastards
- History Unfolding
- The Rude Pudit
- Online Journal
- Media Channel
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.