Tue, 11/01/2011 – 11:42pm —
‘Occupy’ Movement To Swarm Iowa Caucuses
The Occupy Wall Street movement is getting ready to occupy the presidential campaign.
Iowa activists are planning to “shut down” campaign offices of all presidential contenders in the week leading up to the Jan. 3 caucuses in the hope that direct confrontation with the political system — at a time when hundreds of journalists will have descended on the state to cover the first official battle in the Republican presidential primary campaign — will focus national debate on income inequality, money in politics, and the needs of the “99 percent.”
“Not just in Iowa but nationally, there’s a tremendous debate about whether to be involved in electoral politics at all,” said David Goodner, a community organizer with Iowa Citizens for Community Improvement and a regular at the Occupy Des Moines protest. “But the Occupy Wall Street movement isthe third-party candidate, and so we’re not going to lift up an individual as a candidate. We’re not going to do anything to help elect anybody.”
The plan, which was first reported by CNN’s Shannon Travis, was approved by the Occupy Des Moines’ general assembly on Monday night.
One Comment to “Occupy Iowa Caucuses!”
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Please HELP FUND this documentary on JFK’s assassination!
- Talkin’ World War One Blues…
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- Please HELP FUND this documentary on JFK's assassination!
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- How NYU squeezes billions from its students—and where that money goes
- Cody Lyon
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- Suburban Guerrilla
- Election Defense Alliance
- t r u t h o u t
- The Ostroy Report
- Thom Hartmann
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- The International Human Press
- Mainstream Baptist
- William Betz
- Online Journal
- History Unfolding
- Richard Charnin
- The Rude Pudit
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- Media Channel
- Veterans for Common Sense
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.