For more—and to donate to this man’s defense fund—go to http://www.lawrencebroselegaldefensefund.com/.
The Martyrdom of Lawrence Brose
Avant-garde artist denies Homeland Security child porn charges
Published: Wednesday, November 23, 2011 6:10 PM CST
BY DOUG IRELAND
The entire weight of the US Department of Homeland Security, set up to protect us from terrorists, is being used to crush an avant-garde queer filmmaker and visual artist who has created more than 30 experimental films since 1983 that deal largely with homosexuality, homophobia, AIDS, and related topics –– yet there has been hardly a word written about this case in the LGBT press and nary a squeak of protest from treasury-rich national gay institutions.
Lawrence Brose, now 60 years old, was a well-known member of Western New York’s artistic community, the long-time executive director of Buffalo’s CEPA Gallery –– a distinguished haven for the visual arts –– and a noted advocate for public arts funding when he was arrested in November 2009 by agents of the Department’s Immigration and Customs Enforcement division (ICE) and charged with possession of what the federal government claimed was “child pornography.”
“There is no allegation of Brose creating these images, sending the images on to anyone else, or trying to make contact with minors,” Brose’s attorney, Paul Cambria, said.
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: email@example.com
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- NYU is built for WAR! (Who knew?)
- HuffPost ran this strong defense of Bobby Kennedy, Jr.—then took it down just minutes later.
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- How NYU squeezes billions from its students—and where that money goes
- t r u t h o u t
- The Ostroy Report
- Election Defense Alliance
- Early America
- Talking Points Memo
- Suburban Guerrilla
- Mainstream Baptist
- William Betz
- Richard Charnin
- Democratic Undergroud
- The Rude Pudit
- Barry Gordon
- Media Channel
- Words of Power
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- History Unfolding
- Veterans for Common Sense
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.