So is it really any wonder that the cops right here at home are acting more and more like they were trained at the School of the Americas?
Honduras: America’s great foreign policy disgrace
First, the US backed a coup that deposed the elected president. Now, it’s backing the return of death-squad government
guardian.co.uk, Friday 18 November 2011 16.02 EST
Police and soldiers during clashes with teachers in Tegucigalpa, 28 March 2011, after Honduras’ President Porfirio Lobo declared illegal a strike against the privatisation of education. Photograph: Reuters/Edgard Garrido
Imagine that an opposition organiser were murdered in broad daylight in Argentina, Bolivia, Ecuador or Venezuela by masked gunmen, or kidnapped and murdered by armed guards of a well-known supporter of the government. It would be front page news in the New York Times, and all over the TV news. The US State Department would issue a strong statement of concern over grave human rights abuses. If this were ever to happen.
Now imagine that 59 of these kinds of political killings had taken place so far this year, and 61 the previous year. Long before the number of victims reached this level, this would become a major foreign policy issue for the United States, and Washington would be calling for international sanctions.
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: email@example.com
- With our voting system run by rightist gremlins, Hillary—or ANY Democrat who runs for president—is going to “lose”
- College students in the USA should look to Chile
- Run (into the ground) by Wall Street, NYU is Number #1 in student prostitution
- A captive FCC has put our health and privacy at risk
- Doctor who linked autism to vaccines apparently both shot and drowned himself
- Don’t buy these products from Koch Industries! on
- Wisconsin to buy “all new voting machines”—and Koch/Walker will go on “winning” there FOREVER! on
- Please SIGN Elizabeth Warren’s petition to halt “fast track” of TPP! on
- 2nd Amendment was devised to keep Americans in chains on
- Update on the strange death of Nancy Schaefer on
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- NY Fed moving to Chicago, Feds stocking up on ammo, NORAD hunkering down: What's up?
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- Update on the strange death of Nancy Schaefer
- William Betz
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- Cody Lyon
- Barry Gordon
- Suburban Guerrilla
- Veterans for Common Sense
- Richard Charnin
- Words of Power
- Election Defense Alliance
- alias Bruce
- The Rude Pudit
- The International Human Press
- Media Channel
- Evil GOP Bastards
- Mainstream Baptist
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- Writers Voice
- Online Journal
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.