So is it really any wonder that the cops right here at home are acting more and more like they were trained at the School of the Americas?
Honduras: America’s great foreign policy disgrace
First, the US backed a coup that deposed the elected president. Now, it’s backing the return of death-squad government
guardian.co.uk, Friday 18 November 2011 16.02 EST
Police and soldiers during clashes with teachers in Tegucigalpa, 28 March 2011, after Honduras’ President Porfirio Lobo declared illegal a strike against the privatisation of education. Photograph: Reuters/Edgard Garrido
Imagine that an opposition organiser were murdered in broad daylight in Argentina, Bolivia, Ecuador or Venezuela by masked gunmen, or kidnapped and murdered by armed guards of a well-known supporter of the government. It would be front page news in the New York Times, and all over the TV news. The US State Department would issue a strong statement of concern over grave human rights abuses. If this were ever to happen.
Now imagine that 59 of these kinds of political killings had taken place so far this year, and 61 the previous year. Long before the number of victims reached this level, this would become a major foreign policy issue for the United States, and Washington would be calling for international sanctions.
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: email@example.com
- Democrats are partying like it’s 1952, and they’re Republicans—or Birchers.
- Two more on why Flynn went down…
- Why they made Trump dump Flynn (and what about Obama?)
- What news out of Japan is “fit to print,” according to the New York Times? Their choice could make you sick…
- On “killers” working for OUR government, Trump spoke the truth—and our “free press” freaked out…
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- Democrats are partying like it's 1952, and they're Republicans—or Birchers.
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Two things that never happened: "the Bowling Green massacre," and "Russia's invasion of Ukraine"
- Two more on why Flynn went down...
- alias Bruce
- Online Journal
- Barry Gordon
- Veterans for Common Sense
- Writers Voice
- William Betz
- History Unfolding
- The International Human Press
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- Election Defense Alliance
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- The Rude Pudit
- Thom Hartmann
- Talking Points Memo
- Early America
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- Mainstream Baptist
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.