So is it really any wonder that the cops right here at home are acting more and more like they were trained at the School of the Americas?
Honduras: America’s great foreign policy disgrace
First, the US backed a coup that deposed the elected president. Now, it’s backing the return of death-squad government
guardian.co.uk, Friday 18 November 2011 16.02 EST
Police and soldiers during clashes with teachers in Tegucigalpa, 28 March 2011, after Honduras’ President Porfirio Lobo declared illegal a strike against the privatisation of education. Photograph: Reuters/Edgard Garrido
Imagine that an opposition organiser were murdered in broad daylight in Argentina, Bolivia, Ecuador or Venezuela by masked gunmen, or kidnapped and murdered by armed guards of a well-known supporter of the government. It would be front page news in the New York Times, and all over the TV news. The US State Department would issue a strong statement of concern over grave human rights abuses. If this were ever to happen.
Now imagine that 59 of these kinds of political killings had taken place so far this year, and 61 the previous year. Long before the number of victims reached this level, this would become a major foreign policy issue for the United States, and Washington would be calling for international sanctions.
The Hidden History of the JFK Assassination
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: email@example.com
- Kiev brownshirts thrash a presidential candidate as NYTimes hollers “2 + 2 = 5!” (3 items)
- Kiev junta orders military to attack pro-Russian protesters (just after CIA’s John Brennan pays a secret visit there), says Yanukovich
- Holocaust memorial in Odessa (Ukraine) vandalized with swastikas
- Hillary loves Boeing, just like Bush/Cheney did
- URGENT: Tell the mayor to save our parks from the developers–including NYU!
- ray on Don’t buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Bruce P., M.D. on After David Koch leaves NIH board, NIH classifies formaldehyde—a big Koch product—as a cause of cancer
- Jonny Fredagsvik on MetroPCS is blocking Netflix, Skype and other sites–unless you pay extra
- Uncle Sam on Don’t buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Brian on In California, GMO food labeling law will be on ballots on Election Day!
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Where the money goes at NYU
- MetroPCS is blocking Netflix, Skype and other sites--unless you pay extra
- Obama didn't prosecute Bush/Cheney out of fear he'd end up like Paul Wellstone
- Kiev brownshirts thrash a presidential candidate as NYTimes hollers "2 + 2 = 5!" (3 items)
- William Betz
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- Online Journal
- Cody Lyon
- alias Bruce
- Barry Gordon
- Writers Voice
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- Richard Charnin
- Thom Hartmann
- Veterans for Common Sense
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- Election Defense Alliance
- The International Human Press
- Words of Power
- Media Channel
- Media Matters
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.