EMOTIONAL NIGHT IN LIBERTY SQUARE
As you probably know, Liberty Plaza was raided last night. An hour before the park was raided my friend, an older man, came up to me and let me know a cop had told him and an older woman that they should take notice of all the cops, press, and sanitation trucks that had taken to the nearby area. Before leaving, the cop ominously warned, “remember Normandy”. He then relayed the information to me and I relayed the warning, but was met with much skepticism as we’ve heard the cops would raid us just about every night. And then the lights came on, the cops paraded to the edge of the steps in full riot gear and a sound canon fired, announcing our peaceful time protesting in the park for nearly two months had come to a screeching halt. Campers across the park quickly climbed out of their tents screaming, “WAKE UP THE POLICE ARE HERE!” I ran into the library and let the handful of people sleeping in there know what was happening, then unlocked and pulled the OWS POETRY ANTHOLOGY from the shelves and strapped them to my body, then climbed atop a table in the park and read poems from the anthology. Immediately, the people of Liberty Plaza launched into action, a group of about a hundred protesters took to the kitchen and U-Locked/tied themselves down. After reading the third poem, the cops began to enter the park and I realized that I would most likely lose all of my possessions so I quickly grabbed a bag of my personal stuff, ran into the library and dumped a bunch of boxes of books onto the floor to make the cleaning up more difficult for the cops then ran my personal stuff and a few amazing books to a friends house around the corner. I naively thought I could get my stuff to my friends house and then re-enter the park but could only get to the corner of Liberty and Broadway after prepping myself for a long night.
One Comment to “NYPD destroyed the People’s Library—5,000 books, thrown into dumpsters”
The Hidden History of the JFK Assassination
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- We the Human Species have a choice: Keep on making money, or survive
- “60 Minutes” does the NSA a real big favor
- It isn’t just the NSA
- NY City Council to discuss “the promises and perils of Internet voting”
- Latest offerings in NYUFASP’s auction to save Greenwich Village (ending Wednesday night)!
- fasdffsd on Craiglist ad seeks “writers to post Right-Wing Comments to social media & news outlets”
- Internet Marketing Agentur 6020 on Private cop organization, linked to DHS, helped plan raids on OWS nationwide
- wombat on What’s the matter with Alabama? Roger Shuler kept in jail indefinitely, paraded into court IN CHAINS
- Fukushima’s toxic ocean plume will reach US waters in 2014 :: News … | Save The Pacific Ocean on Fukushima’s toxic ocean plume will reach US waters in 2014
- Gus Wynn on Does Rachel Maddow lay off MSNBC sponsors?
- NYU's horrific plan for Greenwich Village—and how you can help us STOP it!
- Iceland got over the recession fast—by jailing the banksters, and bailing out the people
- CIA won't release last volume of secret history of the Bay of Pigs
- The rich are different from you and me. They're sociopaths ...
- Murdoch's Post (at last) AGREES with Michael Moore's "conspiracy theory" re: Saudi link to 9/11
- Media Channel
- Thom Hartmann
- Talking Points Memo
- History Unfolding
- Veterans for Common Sense
- Evil GOP Bastards
- Mainstream Baptist
- William Betz
- Election Defense Alliance
- Early America
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- Suburban Guerrilla
- The Rude Pudit
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- Barry Gordon
- Cody Lyon
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- The International Human Press
- The Ostroy Report
- Richard Charnin
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.