EMOTIONAL NIGHT IN LIBERTY SQUARE
As you probably know, Liberty Plaza was raided last night. An hour before the park was raided my friend, an older man, came up to me and let me know a cop had told him and an older woman that they should take notice of all the cops, press, and sanitation trucks that had taken to the nearby area. Before leaving, the cop ominously warned, “remember Normandy”. He then relayed the information to me and I relayed the warning, but was met with much skepticism as we’ve heard the cops would raid us just about every night. And then the lights came on, the cops paraded to the edge of the steps in full riot gear and a sound canon fired, announcing our peaceful time protesting in the park for nearly two months had come to a screeching halt. Campers across the park quickly climbed out of their tents screaming, “WAKE UP THE POLICE ARE HERE!” I ran into the library and let the handful of people sleeping in there know what was happening, then unlocked and pulled the OWS POETRY ANTHOLOGY from the shelves and strapped them to my body, then climbed atop a table in the park and read poems from the anthology. Immediately, the people of Liberty Plaza launched into action, a group of about a hundred protesters took to the kitchen and U-Locked/tied themselves down. After reading the third poem, the cops began to enter the park and I realized that I would most likely lose all of my possessions so I quickly grabbed a bag of my personal stuff, ran into the library and dumped a bunch of boxes of books onto the floor to make the cleaning up more difficult for the cops then ran my personal stuff and a few amazing books to a friends house around the corner. I naively thought I could get my stuff to my friends house and then re-enter the park but could only get to the corner of Liberty and Broadway after prepping myself for a long night.
One Comment to “NYPD destroyed the People’s Library—5,000 books, thrown into dumpsters”
The Hidden History of the JFK Assassination
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: email@example.com
- The New Yorker scores one for Monsanto with its “profile” of Vandana Shiva
- Kiev’s forces failing in the East
- We’re paying dearly for Barack Obama’s faux-progressive dance
- Vexed by dissidents in parliament, Ukraine’s president dissolves it
- “Bad teachers” are the cause of US inequality, according to Bill Gates. (Did he learn that in school?)
- blaze doric on Calling Russia “the aggressor,” US is the one that wants a war
- Jonelle on Did Romney cheat as well as lie?
- Die Woche im Rückspiegel betrachtet | Lars Schall on Forbidden Bookshelf
- http://iclworld.ru on Eight BIG PROBLEMS with the “case” against Assange (MUST-READ by Naomi Wolf)
- Pressure at work on “Liberal election fraud running rampant” in Arizona, say Tea-Baggers!
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- "Bad teachers" are the cause of US inequality, according to Bill Gates. (Did he learn that in school?)
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- The New Yorker scores one for Monsanto with its "profile" of Vandana Shiva
- Special Branch protected elite British pedophiles
- Veterans for Common Sense
- The Ostroy Report
- Mainstream Baptist
- The Rude Pudit
- Early America
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- Democratic Undergroud
- Talking Points Memo
- Media Channel
- Election Defense Alliance
- Richard Charnin
- Words of Power
- William Betz
- Thom Hartmann
- History Unfolding
- Evil GOP Bastards
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- t r u t h o u t
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.