EMOTIONAL NIGHT IN LIBERTY SQUARE
As you probably know, Liberty Plaza was raided last night. An hour before the park was raided my friend, an older man, came up to me and let me know a cop had told him and an older woman that they should take notice of all the cops, press, and sanitation trucks that had taken to the nearby area. Before leaving, the cop ominously warned, “remember Normandy”. He then relayed the information to me and I relayed the warning, but was met with much skepticism as we’ve heard the cops would raid us just about every night. And then the lights came on, the cops paraded to the edge of the steps in full riot gear and a sound canon fired, announcing our peaceful time protesting in the park for nearly two months had come to a screeching halt. Campers across the park quickly climbed out of their tents screaming, “WAKE UP THE POLICE ARE HERE!” I ran into the library and let the handful of people sleeping in there know what was happening, then unlocked and pulled the OWS POETRY ANTHOLOGY from the shelves and strapped them to my body, then climbed atop a table in the park and read poems from the anthology. Immediately, the people of Liberty Plaza launched into action, a group of about a hundred protesters took to the kitchen and U-Locked/tied themselves down. After reading the third poem, the cops began to enter the park and I realized that I would most likely lose all of my possessions so I quickly grabbed a bag of my personal stuff, ran into the library and dumped a bunch of boxes of books onto the floor to make the cleaning up more difficult for the cops then ran my personal stuff and a few amazing books to a friends house around the corner. I naively thought I could get my stuff to my friends house and then re-enter the park but could only get to the corner of Liberty and Broadway after prepping myself for a long night.
One Comment to “NYPD destroyed the People’s Library—5,000 books, thrown into dumpsters”
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Kati Marton on “The Polk Conspiracy”—a gem on the Forbidden Bookshelf (MUST-READ)
- MI5’s fat file on Eric Hobsbawm included stuff the Nazis had collected on him
- Under TPP, the power of international investors will be ABSOLUTE—and ObamaCo has lied and lied about it
- Did NYU hire a private eye to dig for dirt on one of its professors, and a NYTimes reporter? (Looks like it….)
- Top US scientists—those working at Los Alamos—say NO to vaccines for their kids
- Please SIGN Elizabeth Warren’s petition to halt “fast track” of TPP! on
- Education should be free, and so should student debtors on
- Exit polls in Florida show Democrat way, way ahead in race for governor on
- Don’t buy these products from Koch Industries! on
- PETITION to the US State Department from the family of Dr. Robert Black on
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Democrats won't say a word about high-flying pedophile (and FOB) Jeffrey Epstein---and neither will Republicans! (How come?)
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- What happened to WSJ oil reporter David Bird? (Last week they found his body, after 14 months)
- Thom Hartmann
- Suburban Guerrilla
- William Betz
- Veterans for Common Sense
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- alias Bruce
- Online Journal
- Writers Voice
- Media Channel
- Mainstream Baptist
- History Unfolding
- The International Human Press
- The Rude Pudit
- Democratic Undergroud
- Cody Lyon
- Media Matters
- Talking Points Memo
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.