Koch brothers: secretive billionaires to launch vast database with 2012 in mind
David and Charles Koch, oil tycoons with strong right-wing views and connections, look set to tighten their grip on US politics
By Ed Pilkington, Guardian UK
08 November 11
The secretive oil billionaires the Koch brothers are close to launching a nationwide database connecting millions of Americans who share their anti-government and libertarian views, a move that will further enhance the tycoons’ political influence and that could prove significant in next year’s presidential election.
The database will give concrete form to the vast network of alliances that David and Charles Koch have cultivated over the past 20 years on the right of US politics. The brothers, whose personal wealth has been put at $25 billion each, were a major force behind the creation of the Tea Party movement and enjoy close ties to leading conservative politicians, financiers, business people, media figures and US supreme court judges.
The voter file was set up by the Kochs 18 months ago with $2.5 million of their seed money, and is being developed by a hand-picked team of the brothers’ advisers. It has been given the name Themis, after the Greek goddess who imposes divine order on human affairs.
One Comment to “Kochs launch mammoth database to tighten grip on US politics”
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Democrats won’t say a word about high-flying pedophile (and FOB) Jeffrey Epstein—and neither will Republicans! (How come?)
- NPR is blacking out the truth about Iran and Israel and their respective nukes
- California’s dying of thirst because Monsanto/Goldman/JP Morgan want it to
- Whose planes are making ammunition drops for ISIS?
- What happened to WSJ oil reporter David Bird? (Last week they found his body, after 14 months)
- Please SIGN Elizabeth Warren’s petition to halt “fast track” of TPP! on
- Education should be free, and so should student debtors on
- Exit polls in Florida show Democrat way, way ahead in race for governor on
- Don’t buy these products from Koch Industries! on
- PETITION to the US State Department from the family of Dr. Robert Black on
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Prison notes from Abu Dhabi: U. Florida professor jailed for taking pictures
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- Some vaccines are safe—and some are DANGEROUS! (MUST-READ)
- Early America
- t r u t h o u t
- Election Defense Alliance
- The Ostroy Report
- The International Human Press
- Online Journal
- Richard Charnin
- Veterans for Common Sense
- Suburban Guerrilla
- Evil GOP Bastards
- Media Matters
- Cody Lyon
- Mainstream Baptist
- History Unfolding
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- Media Channel
- William Betz
- Talking Points Memo
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.