NYPD raid Occupy Wall Street, evict OWS encampment after two months
Hundreds of NYPD officers evicted Occupy Wall Street protesters from Zuccotti Park before dawn this morning, ending the two-month demonstration. A judge has issued a temporary restraining order against the police eviction. NYC Mayor Mike Bloomberg disputes the judge, and vows to fight to keep the park clear. Live udpates follow.
[10:20am ET] A group of several hundred protesters have been marching from City Hall back to Zuccotti Park, and they are now re-entering Zuccotti, cheering. Journalists/observers who are live-tweeting right now at #OWS on the march back into Zuccotti: @quinnnorton @katz @Newyorkist @joshharkinson @viewofadam @nancyscola @elliotjustin @samgf. Protestors have now reached the edge of park waving Judge Billings’ order in the air, and are yelling, “We have a court order!”. Those who push in are forcibly removed. People are jumping over police barriers, shouting, “This is our park!” ….And the barricade has been torn down. NYPD is filming demonstrators to identify them later.
[10:13am ET] Here’s a snapshot of the temporary restraining order faxed to the mayor’s office at 7:50am, just before the press conference during which he hadn’t been served. Zuccotti remains closed, in violation of this order.
[10:11am ET] My Boing Boing colleague Cory Doctorow was on-site at Zuccotti just yesterday afternoon, visiting the OWS library and interviewing librarians. All 5,000 books and the library, the structure for which I’m told was paid for by rocker Patti Smith, have been destroyed.
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- NYU is built for WAR! (Who knew?)
- HuffPost ran this strong defense of Bobby Kennedy, Jr.—then took it down just minutes later.
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Update on the strange death of Nancy Schaefer
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Thom Hartmann
- Election Defense Alliance
- alias Bruce
- Media Matters
- Writers Voice
- Cody Lyon
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- t r u t h o u t
- Evil GOP Bastards
- History Unfolding
- Online Journal
- Barry Gordon
- William Betz
- Veterans for Common Sense
- Mainstream Baptist
- The Rude Pudit
- Richard Charnin
- Democratic Undergroud
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.