Missoula Voters Say Corporations Are Not People, Demand Constitutional Amendment
November 8, 2011
By: Keila Szpaller
Corporations aren’t people, an overwhelming 75 percent of Missoula voters said Tuesday, and they don’t want corporations treated like people either.
“I’m over the moon about it,” said Councilwoman Cynthia Wolken, who brought the referendum to the Missoula City Council to place on the ballot.
The measure – similar to others across the country – calls on the U.S. Congress and state leaders to amend the U.S. Constitution to say that “corporations are not human beings.” It earned 10,729 votes in favor and 3,605 against.
2 Comments to “75% of voters in Missoula—that’s Montana—say that corporations are NOT PEOPLE; want a constitutional amendment”
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- NYU is built for WAR! (Who knew?)
- HuffPost ran this strong defense of Bobby Kennedy, Jr.—then took it down just minutes later.
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Update on the strange death of Nancy Schaefer
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- The Ostroy Report
- Election Defense Alliance
- t r u t h o u t
- Democratic Undergroud
- History Unfolding
- alias Bruce
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- Evil GOP Bastards
- Suburban Guerrilla
- Barry Gordon
- Media Matters
- Online Journal
- Talking Points Memo
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- William Betz
- Mainstream Baptist
- Writers Voice
- Veterans for Common Sense
- Words of Power
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.