30 top firms paid no U.S. income tax
WASHINGTON, D.C. (Nov. 3) — A comprehensive new study that profiles 280 of America’s most profitable companies finds that 78 of them paid no federal income tax in at least one of the last three years. Thirty companies, including The Boeing Co., enjoyed a negative income tax rate over the three-year period, despite combined pre-tax profits of $160 billion. These are among the findings in “Corporate Taxpayers and Corporate Tax Dodgers, 2008-2010,” released today by Citizens for Tax Justice and the Institute on Taxation and Economic Policy.
Over the 2008-2010 period studied, the 280 companies earned nearly $1.4 trillion in pre-tax profits in the United States. Had all those profits been reported to the IRS and taxed at the statutory 35% corporate income tax rate, then the 280 companies would have paid $473 billion in income taxes over the three years. But instead, the companies as a group paid about half that amount as they took advantage of enormous corporate tax subsidies. Of the 280 Fortune 500 companies studied, Boeing’s $3.6 billion in tax subsidies over the three-year period ranked 7th biggest, behind Wells Fargo, AT&T, Verizon Communications, GE, IBM and Exxon Mobil.
“These 280 corporations received a total of nearly $223 billion in tax subsidies,” said Robert McIntyre, Director at Citizens for Tax Justice and the report’s lead author. “This is wasted money that could have gone to protect Medicare, create jobs and cut the deficit.”
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Please HELP FUND this documentary on JFK’s assassination!
- Talkin’ World War One Blues…
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- How NYU squeezes billions from its students—and where that money goes
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- Media Channel
- Thom Hartmann
- Media Matters
- Early America
- The International Human Press
- Words of Power
- Cody Lyon
- Richard Charnin
- Evil GOP Bastards
- Talking Points Memo
- Writers Voice
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- Online Journal
- Suburban Guerrilla
- t r u t h o u t
- History Unfolding
- Mainstream Baptist
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.