Tell the State Department: Reject the Keystone XL Pipeline
The State Department is collecting its final round of public comments on whether to approve the dirty and dangerous Keystone XL Pipeline.
Submit a public comment to the State Department now.
These comments are especially important right now, because of numerous recent developments indicating that the State Department is not conducting a good-faith review of the Keystone XL Pipeline.
In a stunning conflict of interest, the State Department hearings this week have been run by a company called Cardno ENTRIX, a contractor working for the Keystone XL pipeline developer TransCanada!1
Cardno ENTRIX also conducted the State Department’s woefully inadequate environmental review of the Keystone XL pipeline. That review was finalized a few weeks ago, despite the EPA raising numerous concerns and warning that the review was “insufficient.”2
What’s more, recently published documents revealing a shockingly cozy relationship between State Department officials and lobbyists for the Canadian pipeline company TransCanada.
These documents include emails from a TransCanada lobbyist named Paul Elliot, who previously served as the Deputy Campaign Manager on Hillary Clinton’s 2008 Presidential campaign. State Department officials, in a clear show of pro-pipeline bias, appear to have coached Elliot and other TransCanada staff about how to build their case for approval, and even how to respond to questions and concerns about pipeline safety and environmental impact.3
The State Department appears not to be taking seriously its solemn obligation to the people of this country to conduct an impartial evaluation of the impacts of this pipeline. But this decision is ultimately still up to the President.
Submit a public comment now to send a strong message to President Obama and his State Department.
This pipeline is truly dangerous. A similar tar sands pipeline has already spilled twelve times since being built last year. And the Keystone XL will endanger the Ogallala aquifer – our largest underground water source – and major rivers, ranch land, and habitat along its 1700 mile route from Canada to the gulf coast. 4
It will dramatically increase the burning of tar sands oil, which releases up to three times the carbon emissions of conventional oil, which will lead to “essentially game over” in our effort to stabilize a livable climate, according to NASA’s leading climatologist.3
And because this pipeline is being built primarily to export this dirty oil overseas, it won’t reduce our dependence on foreign oil one bit.
Submit a public comment now to urge President Obama and his State Department to reject the Keystone XL Pipeline.
1.”State Department Keystone XL Hearings Run By TransCanada Contractor,” ThinkProgress, September 27, 2011
2.”EPA: State Department Analysis Of Keystone XL Tar Sands Pipeline Oil Spill, Global Warming Risks Is ‘Insufficient’,” ThinkProgress, June 7, 2011
3. “TransCanada pipeline lobbyist works all the angles with former colleagues,” Washington Post, September 22, 2011
4.”Key Facts on Keystone XL, Tar Sands Action
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: email@example.com
- Please HELP FUND this documentary on JFK’s assassination!
- Talkin’ World War One Blues…
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Please HELP FUND this documentary on JFK's assassination!
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- How NYU squeezes billions from its students—and where that money goes
- Media Matters
- alias Bruce
- The International Human Press
- Democratic Undergroud
- Talking Points Memo
- Media Channel
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- Barry Gordon
- Evil GOP Bastards
- Early America
- Online Journal
- Richard Charnin
- History Unfolding
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- Veterans for Common Sense
- William Betz
- Cody Lyon
- Writers Voice
- Election Defense Alliance
- Suburban Guerrilla
- The Ostroy Report
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.