From a friend:
That URL (http://www.surveillanceinthehomeland.org) begins with a reference to “the devastating attacks on New York and Washington.” I feel I must respond.
I was born in 1952, 7 years after the end of WWII. Signs of the destruction were still around while I was a kid. I grew up hearing stories of the dislocation and terror caused by enemy attacks and invasion. My father had been lucky to survive 1 and a half years in German concentration camps, and both sides of my family had managed to live through the hell of the war years. Not to mention the immense destruction—TRUE devastation—of Italy and all of Western Europe, and the 50 million people who lost their lives in that conflict (yes, with nearly 420,000 Americans among them).
In Russia alone, 25 MILLION people gave their lives defending their nation against Hitler’s troops.
Knowing what I know, then, I can’t help but find it inappropriate and, yes, insensitive to 9/11 attacks described as “devastating.” Neither New York nor Washington were burned to the ground like Dresden or Tokyo, or obliterated like Hiroshima or Nagasaki, or reduced to utter rubble—theaters of death—like so many major European cities.
So let’s call those attacks horrific, bestial, inhumane—but not “devastating.” In dealing with that trauma of our own let’s not lose all perspective, or the capacity for empathy with those who suffered far worse not so long ago.
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: email@example.com
- Please HELP FUND this documentary on JFK’s assassination!
- Talkin’ World War One Blues…
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- How NYU squeezes billions from its students—and where that money goes
- The International Human Press
- The Ostroy Report
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- Barry Gordon
- Election Defense Alliance
- Suburban Guerrilla
- Richard Charnin
- William Betz
- Talking Points Memo
- Early America
- Mainstream Baptist
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- Cody Lyon
- Words of Power
- Thom Hartmann
- Writers Voice
- Democratic Undergroud
- t r u t h o u t
- History Unfolding
- Media Channel
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.