|This Friday evening, Oct. 21, together with Occupy Wall Street, Verizon and Verizon Wireless workers will march to protest Verizon corporate greed. Please join us.We will assemble at 140 West Street between 4 and 5 p.m., march east on Barclay Street and then down Broadway. We should arrive at Liberty Plaza around 5:30 p.m. and move on towards the Verizon Wireless store at about 6 p.m.
As you probably know, 45,000 Verizon and Verizon Wireless workers have been on the front lines of the struggle against corporate greed. Their battle for a fair contract continues and bargaining is not going well.
Verizon is the 16th largest corporation in America, with one of the largest unionized workforces. In the past four years, Verizon made $22.5 billion in profits and paid its top five executives $258 million, and over the past two years the company reaped a $1.3 billion federal corporate income tax rebate—yet it wants to eliminate pensions, force workers to pay thousands of dollars more for health care, slash sick time and eliminate job security. The company’s bargaining stance is that no working person is entitled to decent wages with health care and retirement security, no matter how profitable the employer.
Occupy Wall Street has focused the world’s attention on the destructive power of corporate greed. Verizon is the poster child for that corporate greed. Together, we are demanding that the American economy start to work for the 99% again, not just make the top 1% even richer. Verizon workers are part of the 99%.
Please join us on Friday. We are the 99% and we are fighting back!
2 Comments to “Verizon workers march with #OWS this Friday night!”
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: email@example.com
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- NYU is built for WAR! (Who knew?)
- HuffPost ran this strong defense of Bobby Kennedy, Jr.—then took it down just minutes later.
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Update on the strange death of Nancy Schaefer
- Veterans for Common Sense
- Early America
- Writers Voice
- t r u t h o u t
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- Suburban Guerrilla
- alias Bruce
- Words of Power
- The International Human Press
- The Ostroy Report
- Mainstream Baptist
- Election Defense Alliance
- Thom Hartmann
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- Media Channel
- History Unfolding
- Barry Gordon
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.