After Gadhafi, the West eyes the Libyan prize
Oil rich and deeply divided, the country is vulnerable to outside powers
BY PHYLLIS BENNIS
The death of Libyan leader Moammar Gadhafi will likely — though it’s too early to know anything for sure — mean the end of the current stage of Libya’s civil war. Whether it will set the stage for peace, national reconciliation, democracy, normalization with the region or other goals is far less clear. And what post-Gadhafi Libya’s relationship with the United States and other NATO countries will look like remains uncertain.
A Libyan commentator on Al Jazeera this morning, celebrating the death of Gadhafi, described it as the “third fall” of dictators in the Arab Spring. But while the overthrow of Gadhafi’s 42-year-old regime found its origins in the same Tunisian- and Egyptian-inspired nonviolent mobilizations as those still underway in Bahrain, Syria, Yemen and elsewhere, Libya’s trajectory was profoundly different.
It began the same way, with a home-grown call for protests against a dictatorship responsible for terrible repression, the massacre of prisoners and more. But when Libyan protesters took up arms, and especially when leaders invited NATO and the U.S. to become the “air force of the Transitional National Council,” the links between Libya’s rebellion and those of the rest of the Arab Spring began to fray.
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: email@example.com
- Please HELP FUND this documentary on JFK’s assassination!
- Talkin’ World War One Blues…
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- Please HELP FUND this documentary on JFK's assassination!
- How NYU squeezes billions from its students—and where that money goes
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Early America
- Evil GOP Bastards
- The International Human Press
- Suburban Guerrilla
- Cody Lyon
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- Richard Charnin
- Veterans for Common Sense
- Thom Hartmann
- Media Matters
- t r u t h o u t
- The Rude Pudit
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- Online Journal
- Media Channel
- Talking Points Memo
- William Betz
- Democratic Undergroud
- Barry Gordon
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.