Obama’s Favorite Think Tank: Cut The Army, Forget Counterinsurgency
By Spencer Ackerman Email Author
The Obama administration’s favorite defense think tank was once a hothouse of counterinsurgency theory. But now that the government is trying to crawl out of its massive debt, the Center for a New American Security is less about big ground conflicts and more about how to shrink the defense budget. First on the chopping block, according to its forthcoming blueprint for defense cuts: counterinsurgency. Next: the Army and Marines who wage it.
“Extended counterinsurgency operations” are passe once the U.S. draws down in Afghanistan, says Nora Bensahel, a defense expert at CNAS, as the think tank is ubiquitously known in Washington. “We’re judging that a less-likely scenario.”
On Friday, CNAS will release a dour report called “Hard Choices: Responsible Defense in the Age of Austerity,” which looks at various scenarios for how to cut defense. Those scenarios range from a relatively easy $350-400 billion over ten years, which the Pentagon has been prepping for all year, to the “high risk” option of cutting up to $850 billion over a decade — which will happen automatically if Congress and the White House can’t agree to a comprehensive deficit fix by January 15. What they all have in common is that the Army and Marines are in for a world of hurt.
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: email@example.com
- Democrats are partying like it’s 1952, and they’re Republicans—or Birchers.
- Two more on why Flynn went down…
- Why they made Trump dump Flynn (and what about Obama?)
- What news out of Japan is “fit to print,” according to the New York Times? Their choice could make you sick…
- On “killers” working for OUR government, Trump spoke the truth—and our “free press” freaked out…
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- Democrats are partying like it's 1952, and they're Republicans—or Birchers.
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Two things that never happened: "the Bowling Green massacre," and "Russia's invasion of Ukraine"
- Local sheriff wanted Phillip Marshall's home professionally cleaned after the murder
- Barry Gordon
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- The International Human Press
- Election Defense Alliance
- t r u t h o u t
- William Betz
- Early America
- Democratic Undergroud
- Suburban Guerrilla
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- The Rude Pudit
- Veterans for Common Sense
- Mainstream Baptist
- Evil GOP Bastards
- Thom Hartmann
- History Unfolding
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- Cody Lyon
- Online Journal
- Media Channel
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.