Marines Head to Wall Street—to Protect Protesters
VETERAN ISSUES CALL TO PALS TO SHIELD DEMONSTRATORS
By Mary Papenfuss, Newser Staff
Posted Oct 3, 2011 1:50 AM CDT | Updated Oct 3, 2011 4:58 AM CDT
(NEWSER) – NYPD cops better watch it when they get tough with Occupy Wall Street protesters from now on, because the Marines are coming—to help protect the demonstrators. “I’m heading up there tonight in my dress blues,” announced a Marine veteran in a message reposted by another anti-war vet on his Facebook page. “So far, 15 of my fellow Marine buddies are meeting me there, also in uniform. I didn’t fight for Wall Street. I fought for America.” The vet adds that his “true hope is that we, as veterans, can act as a first line of defense between the police and protesters. If they want to mace them, they will have to get through the effing Marine Corps first. Let’s see a cop mace a bunch of decorated war vets.”
Marines and other vets have already been spotted in the growing movement. A photo posted on a protest tweetshows two Marines recently in an Occupy Wall Street demonstration. One holds a sign reading: “Second time I’ve fought for my country. First time I’ve known my enemy.” The 1971 Army Infantry vet who reposted the Marine’s message said he plans to be at the anti-corporate demonstration planned in Washington with “hundreds of my fellow veterans.” Protests are planned throughout the week in New York and several other cities.
(Click to see which celebrities are voicing their support.)
2 Comments to “Tell it to the Marines! A few good men head down to Wall Street to protect protesters!”
CONSPIRACY THEORY IN AMERICA
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Vets return to Vietnam, to help clean up the mess they left behind
- Visa quits ALEC
- The stars come out against the Sexton Plan!
- Donors fleeing ALEC over Trayvon Martin’s shooting
- Now you see it, soon you won’t: Welcome to the memory hole
- wombat on What’s the matter with Alabama? Roger Shuler kept in jail indefinitely, paraded into court IN CHAINS
- Fukushima’s toxic ocean plume will reach US waters in 2014 :: News … | Save The Pacific Ocean on Fukushima’s toxic ocean plume will reach US waters in 2014
- Gus Wynn on Does Rachel Maddow lay off MSNBC sponsors?
- Robin Roland on Score one (at last) for the Election Integrity movement!
- Julie on Does Rachel Maddow lay off MSNBC sponsors?
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- CIA's contra/cocaine scheme was a REAL conspiracy, not a "theory"
- Visa quits ALEC
- Here are many MORE things NOT to buy from Koch...
- Clear Channel ends "Green 960" in San Francisco; KKGN's new line-up will include Glenn Beck
- Mainstream Baptist
- The Rude Pudit
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- Early America
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- Evil GOP Bastards
- William Betz
- Online Journal
- The International Human Press
- Words of Power
- Election Defense Alliance
- Veterans for Common Sense
- Media Channel
- History Unfolding
- Thom Hartmann
- t r u t h o u t
- Writers Voice
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.