Marines Head to Wall Street—to Protect Protesters
VETERAN ISSUES CALL TO PALS TO SHIELD DEMONSTRATORS
By Mary Papenfuss, Newser Staff
Posted Oct 3, 2011 1:50 AM CDT | Updated Oct 3, 2011 4:58 AM CDT
(NEWSER) – NYPD cops better watch it when they get tough with Occupy Wall Street protesters from now on, because the Marines are coming—to help protect the demonstrators. “I’m heading up there tonight in my dress blues,” announced a Marine veteran in a message reposted by another anti-war vet on his Facebook page. “So far, 15 of my fellow Marine buddies are meeting me there, also in uniform. I didn’t fight for Wall Street. I fought for America.” The vet adds that his “true hope is that we, as veterans, can act as a first line of defense between the police and protesters. If they want to mace them, they will have to get through the effing Marine Corps first. Let’s see a cop mace a bunch of decorated war vets.”
Marines and other vets have already been spotted in the growing movement. A photo posted on a protest tweetshows two Marines recently in an Occupy Wall Street demonstration. One holds a sign reading: “Second time I’ve fought for my country. First time I’ve known my enemy.” The 1971 Army Infantry vet who reposted the Marine’s message said he plans to be at the anti-corporate demonstration planned in Washington with “hundreds of my fellow veterans.” Protests are planned throughout the week in New York and several other cities.
(Click to see which celebrities are voicing their support.)
2 Comments to “Tell it to the Marines! A few good men head down to Wall Street to protect protesters!”
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- You know that FBI “smoking gun” video of the Tsarnaev brothers planting that bomb? You don’t, because there isn’t one….
- Nobel Peace Prize chairman (finally) gets what he deserves for giving one to Pres. Obama
- Coke pulls German-language ad that seems nostalgic for “the Good Old Times” when Hitler ruled
- Someone needs to put saltpeter in Joe Biden’s coffee
- After “one viewer” complains, RT faces UK inquiry over “anti-Western” comments in TV debate about Ukraine
- Please SIGN Elizabeth Warren’s petition to halt “fast track” of TPP! on
- Education should be free, and so should student debtors on
- Exit polls in Florida show Democrat way, way ahead in race for governor on
- Don’t buy these products from Koch Industries! on
- PETITION to the US State Department from the family of Dr. Robert Black on
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- You know that FBI "smoking gun" video of the Tsarnaev brothers planting that bomb? You don't, because there isn't one....
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Where the money goes at NYU
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- William Betz
- The Rude Pudit
- History Unfolding
- Barry Gordon
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- Suburban Guerrilla
- Media Matters
- Media Channel
- Online Journal
- Veterans for Common Sense
- alias Bruce
- Writers Voice
- Democratic Undergroud
- The International Human Press
- The Existentialist Cowboy
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.