New report shows state budget cuts devastating public schools
Posted: 10/13/2011 10:40:43 AM
New austerity budgets, passed by state legislatures, are having a huge negative effect on direct services to children, youth, and families, according to a new report by Campaign for America’s Future.
The report, “Starving America’s Public Schools: How Budget Cuts and Policy Mandates are Hurting our Nation’s Students,” compiles data from local news reports across the country. The report focuses on five key states that have flaunted budget cuts to K-12 public education: Arizona, Florida, North Carolina, Ohio, and Pennsylvania.
The five states have reduced or eliminated crucial services, such as pre-kindergarten, full-day kindergarten, technical education and foreign language courses, art, music and physical education. Several of the states also have increased class sizes. In each state, the report documents dwindling public school funds being transferred to private entities, such as private schools and voucher programs.
From the NEA:
“We know what our students need to learn and succeed – including early childhood education, smaller class sizes and a well-rounded curriculum,” said NEA President Dennis Van Roekel. “Americans must demand that our elected leaders use our tax dollars to help build a solid future for all our children and our nation by providing adequate funding for our public schools and helping all our students get the education they deserve.”
One Comment to “State budget cuts are devastating public schools, notes new report”
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- NYU is built for WAR! (Who knew?)
- HuffPost ran this strong defense of Bobby Kennedy, Jr.—then took it down just minutes later.
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Update on the strange death of Nancy Schaefer
- Thom Hartmann
- Barry Gordon
- Richard Charnin
- Talking Points Memo
- Election Defense Alliance
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- Online Journal
- Early America
- Evil GOP Bastards
- alias Bruce
- The International Human Press
- Media Channel
- Media Matters
- The Rude Pudit
- Mainstream Baptist
- History Unfolding
- Suburban Guerrilla
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.