Last night, downtown Oakland resembled a war zone. The Ella Baker Center is appalled at the City of Oakland’s violent response to peaceful protestors. Speak up now against the violence.
Pete, from Oakland, age 31, was one of the many folks injured while exercising his freedom of speech. “I felt it was ridiculous that the City raided the Occupy Oakland camp in the middle of the night using violent tactics. Right when people tell you to shut up is the moment to stand up and speak. That is why I marched in downtown Oakland last night.”
Pete heard the police give a 5 minute dispersal warning. He was surrounded by other protestors – he saw nothing thrown at the cops, no violence, and no destruction of property. He joined others chanting, “Who are you protecting? We are the 99%!” Without further warning, the police began launching canisters. Pete turned to walk away when he felt something hit his ankle, heard a loud noise, and saw a huge flash of light. A friendly stranger helped him get medical assistance for his ankle which remains bruised and injured today.
Pete remains resolved to continue to stand up for the Occupy movement’s right to be heard and to resist further threats of violence. “I can’t believe Oakland would take that level of aggression against people doing nothing threatening. I still can’t believe it. But I will go back. This is our city, I hella love Oakland, and I am going to fight to protect our freedoms.”
Pete’s is just one story of Occupy Oakland’s attack from the City and the police. Join us now in denouncing the violence and demanding the immediate release of any Occupiers.
This is not the end of Occupy Oakland. Or of political activism in Oakland. In fact, it is just the beginning. Right now, the Mayor and Police Department should apologize and change their course. But tomorrow, they should join us all in fighting for the 99%.
The Ella Baker Center Team
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: email@example.com
- Please HELP FUND this documentary on JFK’s assassination!
- Talkin’ World War One Blues…
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- Please HELP FUND this documentary on JFK's assassination!
- How NYU squeezes billions from its students—and where that money goes
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Suburban Guerrilla
- Evil GOP Bastards
- Richard Charnin
- History Unfolding
- The Rude Pudit
- alias Bruce
- Talking Points Memo
- The International Human Press
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- Cody Lyon
- Mainstream Baptist
- Barry Gordon
- William Betz
- The Ostroy Report
- Words of Power
- Election Defense Alliance
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- Media Matters
- t r u t h o u t
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.