From Jonathan Simon:
Important I think not to dismiss this stuff (see report on OWS internal conflicts below) as just a media tear-down. I know there’s plenty of that, along with infiltration and sabotage, and I also know that OWS, in its various venues, is very much a work in progress. But unless each assembly finds some way(s) to get a handle on the destructive, trust-destroying side of these internal conflicts, a good part of the energy of the gatherings will be spent internally and they will die on the vine.
What’s been happening at OWS NY underscores the value of representative democracy. There’s a very good reason that nearly all democracies, whether at the national or village level, turn before long to some representative mode of governance and decision-making. Pure democracy gets extremely dicey for groups larger than say a classroom or girl scout troop. When it’s hundreds or thousands, the breakdown is all but inevitable imo.
This is where elections come in. Bestowing our power on representatives is a profound act of trust, not necessarily an abdication. It goes without saying, then, that a rigged electoral process which grossly distorts that lending of power will ultimately wreak havoc on any polity. It is, I think, a terrible mistake to attempt to substitute pure democracy for representative democracy when that representative democracy has broken down almost entirely because the mode of election has broken down (having been hijacked, whether by Citizens United, Jim Crow, or computerized rigging), such that the representatives no longer fairly represent the electorate.
So much of what we are seeing politically in the US is the result of that breakdown of electoral process (and I’m not thinking only
of the general elections, but of the crucial primaries that set the candidate fields) and yet so little attention is being paid to that, even by the OWS people. They are offering up an ethos of “pure democracy” as the alternative model to a representative democracy gone terribly off the rails, when a repaired representative democracy would serve us far better, and is imo what is needed. However refreshing pure democracy may seem at first blush, if and when it breaks down into contentious paresis, it may well take down with
it much of the energy that might have been applied to repairing our electoral process and the still-viable representative democracy that it underwrites.
Senior Editor, Traffic & Trends, The Huffington Post
Occupy Wall Street: At Zuccotti Park, Conflict Arises Among Occupiers
One Comment to “Rifts at #OWS show we need real elections, too: 99% must OCCUPY the polls—dump e-vote-counts AND the private companies that run them!”
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Democrats are partying like it’s 1952, and they’re Republicans—or Birchers.
- Two more on why Flynn went down…
- Why they made Trump dump Flynn (and what about Obama?)
- What news out of Japan is “fit to print,” according to the New York Times? Their choice could make you sick…
- On “killers” working for OUR government, Trump spoke the truth—and our “free press” freaked out…
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- Democrats are partying like it's 1952, and they're Republicans—or Birchers.
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- Two more on why Flynn went down...
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Local sheriff wanted Phillip Marshall's home professionally cleaned after the murder
- Talking Points Memo
- t r u t h o u t
- Media Matters
- Writers Voice
- Barry Gordon
- Thom Hartmann
- Veterans for Common Sense
- Cody Lyon
- alias Bruce
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- The Ostroy Report
- Media Channel
- The International Human Press
- Suburban Guerrilla
- Mainstream Baptist
- William Betz
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- Evil GOP Bastards
- The Rude Pudit
- Online Journal
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.