Rick Scott Wants Mandatory Training For Jobless Benefits
First Posted: 10/13/11 01:05 PM ET Updated: 10/13/11 01:30 PM ET
Florida Gov. Rick Scott’s jobs agenda for 2012 aims to reduce burdensome regulations for businesses and to increase them for jobless workers seeking benefits.
“Rather than continue to simply pay out benefits for those out of work, Florida must focus its efforts on ensuring that it can offer the most able workforce in the nation,” says an outline of Scott’s proposal, which the Tea Party champ unveiled Wednesday. “Requiring training as a part of the benefits administration will help Florida lead the nation in creating new jobs.”
Earlier this year Scott signed legislation that will make Florida the stingiest state in America for people laid off through no fault of their own. Once the law takes full effect in January, jobless Floridians will be eligible for fewer and fewer weeks of benefits as the state’s unemployment rate goes down.
One part of the legislation, which took effect in August, has required unemployment claimants to participate in an “Initial Skills Review” for job search assistance. The review is an online test that includes reading and math questions. Claimants have to “complete” the test but not “pass,” according to an Agency for Workforce Innovation document.
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: email@example.com
- Democrats are partying like it’s 1952, and they’re Republicans—or Birchers.
- Two more on why Flynn went down…
- Why they made Trump dump Flynn (and what about Obama?)
- What news out of Japan is “fit to print,” according to the New York Times? Their choice could make you sick…
- On “killers” working for OUR government, Trump spoke the truth—and our “free press” freaked out…
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- Democrats are partying like it's 1952, and they're Republicans—or Birchers.
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- Two more on why Flynn went down...
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Local sheriff wanted Phillip Marshall's home professionally cleaned after the murder
- Media Matters
- Suburban Guerrilla
- Evil GOP Bastards
- Early America
- Media Channel
- Cody Lyon
- Mainstream Baptist
- Thom Hartmann
- Words of Power
- Talking Points Memo
- alias Bruce
- Barry Gordon
- Democratic Undergroud
- Election Defense Alliance
- Richard Charnin
- Writers Voice
- Veterans for Common Sense
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.