Rick Scott Wants Mandatory Training For Jobless Benefits
First Posted: 10/13/11 01:05 PM ET Updated: 10/13/11 01:30 PM ET
Florida Gov. Rick Scott’s jobs agenda for 2012 aims to reduce burdensome regulations for businesses and to increase them for jobless workers seeking benefits.
“Rather than continue to simply pay out benefits for those out of work, Florida must focus its efforts on ensuring that it can offer the most able workforce in the nation,” says an outline of Scott’s proposal, which the Tea Party champ unveiled Wednesday. “Requiring training as a part of the benefits administration will help Florida lead the nation in creating new jobs.”
Earlier this year Scott signed legislation that will make Florida the stingiest state in America for people laid off through no fault of their own. Once the law takes full effect in January, jobless Floridians will be eligible for fewer and fewer weeks of benefits as the state’s unemployment rate goes down.
One part of the legislation, which took effect in August, has required unemployment claimants to participate in an “Initial Skills Review” for job search assistance. The review is an online test that includes reading and math questions. Claimants have to “complete” the test but not “pass,” according to an Agency for Workforce Innovation document.
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Please HELP FUND this documentary on JFK’s assassination!
- Talkin’ World War One Blues…
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Please HELP FUND this documentary on JFK's assassination!
- Suburban Guerrilla
- Talking Points Memo
- Mainstream Baptist
- Evil GOP Bastards
- Writers Voice
- Thom Hartmann
- The International Human Press
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- Richard Charnin
- Cody Lyon
- Barry Gordon
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- t r u t h o u t
- Democratic Undergroud
- Veterans for Common Sense
- Words of Power
- Online Journal
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.