Quan, Under Attack, Changes Course on Occupy Oakland
Mayor reopens plaza to protesters, promises dialogue and “minimum police presence” if demonstrations stay peaceful
By SHOSHANA WALTER on October 27, 2011 – 12:08 a.m. PDT
Oakland Mayor Jean Quan, under attack from inside and outside her administration, announced late Wednesday that Occupy Oakland can return to the plaza in front of City Hall, an abrupt reversal that followed a night of street violence Tuesday and widespread criticism over her handling of the crisis.
As more than 1,000 people descended on Frank H. Ogawa Plaza Wednesday night, Quan called for “a minimum police presence” and said nonviolent protesters would be allowed to re-occupy the area near City Hall. One day earlier, with Quan’s authorization, 400 police officers had dismantled the tent city.
Quan has been facing a growing firestorm over what some describe as a tentative, out-of-touch approach to the crisis. Earlier, Quan admitted that she had not known that police were planning to evict the protesters early Tuesday morning, saying only that she had signed off on the plan.
One Comment to “Quan backs down”
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: email@example.com
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- NYU is built for WAR! (Who knew?)
- HuffPost ran this strong defense of Bobby Kennedy, Jr.—then took it down just minutes later.
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Update on the strange death of Nancy Schaefer
- History Unfolding
- Thom Hartmann
- Democratic Undergroud
- Suburban Guerrilla
- Talking Points Memo
- Veterans for Common Sense
- Media Channel
- The Ostroy Report
- Cody Lyon
- Writers Voice
- Election Defense Alliance
- t r u t h o u t
- Richard Charnin
- Media Matters
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- Mainstream Baptist
- Early America
- The Rude Pudit
- Online Journal
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.