The Texas Tribune
Planned Parenthood Struggles After State Budget Cuts
by Thanh Tan, Justin Dehn and Ryan Murphy
October 16, 2011
Hidalgo County, situated along the border that separates Texas and Mexico, is home to one of the country’s fastest-growing but poorest populations. Largely Hispanic and Catholic, the county also has one of the highest birth rates in a state where Medicaid finances more than half of all deliveries.
Not all of those new mothers and fathers are ready to be parents, and Patricio Gonzales, a former social worker in McAllen, the county’s largest city, has witnessed the consequences — case after case of child neglect and abuse. Convinced that family planning could be a solution, he became the chief executive of the Planned Parenthood Association of Hidalgo County, which was founded in a Methodist church in nearby Mission.
In 2010, the Hidalgo County network’s eight clinics provided family-planning services to 23,000 patients, many of whom are uninsured and cannot afford to pay. The services included contraception, breast and cervical cancer screenings, testing for sexually transmitted diseases, and wellness exams for both men and women — but not abortions.
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: email@example.com
- Democrats are partying like it’s 1952, and they’re Republicans—or Birchers.
- Two more on why Flynn went down…
- Why they made Trump dump Flynn (and what about Obama?)
- What news out of Japan is “fit to print,” according to the New York Times? Their choice could make you sick…
- On “killers” working for OUR government, Trump spoke the truth—and our “free press” freaked out…
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- Democrats are partying like it's 1952, and they're Republicans—or Birchers.
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Two things that never happened: "the Bowling Green massacre," and "Russia's invasion of Ukraine"
- Local sheriff wanted Phillip Marshall's home professionally cleaned after the murder
- Media Matters
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- Evil GOP Bastards
- Barry Gordon
- Thom Hartmann
- Democratic Undergroud
- Early America
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- t r u t h o u t
- Election Defense Alliance
- Mainstream Baptist
- History Unfolding
- Words of Power
- Richard Charnin
- The International Human Press
- The Rude Pudit
- Suburban Guerrilla
- Cody Lyon
- William Betz
- Media Channel
- The Ostroy Report
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.