Occupy Maine group digs in, shows support for Wall Street counterparts
By Seth Koenig, BDN Staff
Posted Oct. 03, 2011, at 6:50 p.m.
PORTLAND, Maine — Members of a growing Occupy Maine group in Monument Square on Monday proclaimed solidarity with the larger Occupy Wall Street movement and noted similarities between their efforts and those that overthrew the government of Egypt this summer.
They also began to hone a message for what has been criticized by some as a directionless protest, with signs and slogans at numerous satellite Occupy settlements around the country running the gamut of social causes.
On Monday in Portland, Occupy Maine members took their occupation on the road with a 90-minute march from their Monument Square base of operations to the University of Southern Maine, where they held a brief rally, and back again.
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Please HELP FUND this documentary on JFK’s assassination!
- Talkin’ World War One Blues…
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Please HELP FUND this documentary on JFK's assassination!
- Mainstream Baptist
- t r u t h o u t
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- Media Channel
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- Election Defense Alliance
- Talking Points Memo
- Evil GOP Bastards
- Early America
- Media Matters
- alias Bruce
- Cody Lyon
- The Ostroy Report
- Words of Power
- Writers Voice
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- The Rude Pudit
- The International Human Press
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.