Against Rules, Tents Arise at Protest
By ANDREW GROSSMAN And JESSICA FIRGER
Some protesters in Zuccotti Park have concealed their tents with tarps.
The posted rules in Zuccotti Park are clear: no “camping and/or the erection of tents or other structures.” But the Occupy Wall Street encampment is beginning to resemble a tent city anyway.
When the protest began on Sept. 17, police intervened whenever anything resembling a tent was erected. It is against city law to camp in public.
Tomgram: Barbara Ehrenreich, Homeless in America | TomDispatch
Posted by Barbara Ehrenreich at 8:30am, October 23, 2011.
Last weekend, at the dedication of the Martin Luther King, Jr. National Memorial on the Washington Mall, two of King’s children gave shout-outs to Occupy Wall Street, now spreading around the country and the world. His daughter Bernice spoke of it as “a freedom explosion” and his son Martin eloquently hailed “the young people of the Occupy movement all over this country and throughout the world [who] are seeking justice… for working class people barely making it, justice for middle class folk unable to pay their mortgages… justice for the young people who graduate from college and are unemployed and burdened by student loans they cannot repay, justice for everyone who is simply asking the wealthy and corporations to pay their fair share.”
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: email@example.com
- Please HELP FUND this documentary on JFK’s assassination!
- Talkin’ World War One Blues…
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Please HELP FUND this documentary on JFK's assassination!
- Media Channel
- Democratic Undergroud
- Suburban Guerrilla
- Words of Power
- Writers Voice
- Thom Hartmann
- Richard Charnin
- Election Defense Alliance
- Veterans for Common Sense
- Mainstream Baptist
- William Betz
- Evil GOP Bastards
- History Unfolding
- Early America
- Cody Lyon
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- The Ostroy Report
- The Rude Pudit
- Online Journal
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.