ALABAMA LIBRARY REQUIRING PROOF OF CITIZENSHIP FOR LIBRARY CARD | Even library visitors have not been spared from Alabama’s extreme anti-immigrant law, HB 56. Since Sept. 1 (before the law went into effect), the North Shelby County Library has asked people who want a library card to prove their legal status or citizenship. The president of the library’s board of directors defended the decision, saying, “We have to follow the rules that all businesses must follow.” The library is considered a public corporation but operates as a nonprofit after the state legislature created the district in 1988, so it possibly falls under a provision in HB 56 that bans business transactions between the state and undocumented immigrants. While it does not compare to not being allowed to have water in your home or even losing your home just for being an undocumented immigrant, it is another unnecessary headache caused by Alabama’s unconstitutional immigration law.
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: email@example.com
- Please HELP FUND this documentary on JFK’s assassination!
- Talkin’ World War One Blues…
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Please HELP FUND this documentary on JFK's assassination!
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- How NYU squeezes billions from its students—and where that money goes
- Media Channel
- Richard Charnin
- Suburban Guerrilla
- History Unfolding
- Barry Gordon
- Mainstream Baptist
- Writers Voice
- The International Human Press
- t r u t h o u t
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- Thom Hartmann
- Online Journal
- William Betz
- Evil GOP Bastards
- alias Bruce
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- The Ostroy Report
- Cody Lyon
- Media Matters
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.