published on Wednesday, October 12, 2011 by CommonDreams.org
New Zealand’s Worst Maritime Disaster: Yet Another Oil Spill
by Tina Gerhardt
HONOLULU – One week after the container ship Rena struck and got stuck on Astrolabe Reef, leading to massive oil leaks, New Zealand has declared the oil spill its worst maritime disaster.
In the wake of the 2010 BP Deepwater Horizon oil spill, area residents and environmentalists are concerned that the spill and its effects on the health of those who live, work and vacation in the area will be downplayed. (Photo: Maritime New Zealand)The ship flying under a Liberian flag is located about 12 nautical miles off the coast of New Zealand, in the Bay of Plenty.
The amount of oil gushing forth has increased over the past week. Tar and oil balls, some the size of platters, have washed ashore along 16 miles of the North Island’s beaches. It is estimated that 1300 to 1700 tons of oil remain on the ship. The first priority is to pump the remaining oil off the ship.
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: email@example.com
- Democrats are partying like it’s 1952, and they’re Republicans—or Birchers.
- Two more on why Flynn went down…
- Why they made Trump dump Flynn (and what about Obama?)
- What news out of Japan is “fit to print,” according to the New York Times? Their choice could make you sick…
- On “killers” working for OUR government, Trump spoke the truth—and our “free press” freaked out…
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- Democrats are partying like it's 1952, and they're Republicans—or Birchers.
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Two things that never happened: "the Bowling Green massacre," and "Russia's invasion of Ukraine"
- Local sheriff wanted Phillip Marshall's home professionally cleaned after the murder
- Talking Points Memo
- The International Human Press
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- Barry Gordon
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- Suburban Guerrilla
- The Ostroy Report
- Evil GOP Bastards
- The Rude Pudit
- Mainstream Baptist
- Thom Hartmann
- Richard Charnin
- Election Defense Alliance
- Cody Lyon
- History Unfolding
- Democratic Undergroud
- Words of Power
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.