This year state governments across the country have enacted new laws making it harder to vote. Today we released the first comprehensive study assessing the impact. The result is troubling, as The New York Times reported this morning in its lead story.
The facts: these new laws could make it significantly harder for more than five million eligible voters to cast ballots in 2012. That’s larger than the popular vote margin in two out of the last three presidential elections. In fact, half the “battleground” states have already cut back voting. These restrictions fall heaviest on young, minority and low-income voters. They may tilt the political terrain for the 2012 election.
That’s wrong. We should not enact new policies that make it harder for citizens to participate in our democracy. Rather, common-sense steps can modernize voter registration – registering voters automatically, cutting costs while curbing fraud.
Over the coming year we will continue to update you – and we will fight to make sure that all Americans can exercise their right to vote.
The Brennan Center for Justice
at NYU School of Law
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- NYU is built for WAR! (Who knew?)
- HuffPost ran this strong defense of Bobby Kennedy, Jr.—then took it down just minutes later.
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Where the money goes at NYU
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- The Rude Pudit
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- Thom Hartmann
- Online Journal
- Richard Charnin
- Talking Points Memo
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- t r u t h o u t
- William Betz
- Media Channel
- Cody Lyon
- Democratic Undergroud
- Mainstream Baptist
- Writers Voice
- Suburban Guerrilla
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.