From Redeye in Alabama:
While everyone was focused on the police brutality directed to the Occupy Movement protesters in Oakland, California, the same stuff was happening right in our back yard in Nashville, Tennessee. Here is a run down thanks to the Tennessee Progressive Blogging Community.
Last night, a working member of the press was arrested covering the mass arrests at Occupy Nashville. I like to call this a “PR nightmare” which should be Gov. Bill Haslam and Bill Gibbons safe word right now.
Yet that’s what happened in the early morning hours, as Metro Night Court Judge Tom Nelson told the troopers who arrested 25 peaceful Occupy Nashville protesters at midnight on Legislative Plaza — along with Scene reporter Jonathan Meador, who was attempting to get off the plaza when he was cuffed and hauled off — that the curfew being enforced at the Capitol had no constitutional grounds whatsoever.
I find it to be amusing in a not so funny way our governor was in Memphis this week visiting the Civil Rights Museum.
A few things I’ve noticed is that political persuasion doesn’t mean beans right now when it come to the public outcry from Tennesseans. One thing that cannot be controlled is passion. I say it entirely too much but to quote Maya Angelou, it’s not what you say or what you do, it’s how you make people feel.
BREAKING: Night Court Judge researches and rules that he can find no authority to charge Occupy Nashville with curfew violation
Around midnight Friday/Saturday, the Twitter stream reported that Tennessee Highway Patrol conducted another raid of Legislative Plaza to arrest Occupy Nashville protesters who refused to let last night’s raid deter them from returning to occupy the plaza in dutiful defiance of Governor Bill Haslam’s arbitrary 10pm nightly curfew. Several reports from on-site revealed that a Nashville Scene reporter, Jonathan Meador, was cuffed and taken away, too. When a fellow reporter inquired about the detainment of Meador a THP officer replied, “You want to be next?” One observer reported that while rounding up protesters, THP allowed well-dressed TPAC ticket-holders to pass through the plaza after the curfew was in effect.
Occupy Nashville: Vet Injured During 2nd Round of Arrests
Occupy Nashville: Cops Arrest Nashville Scene Reporter Along With 26 Protesters
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: email@example.com
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- NYU is built for WAR! (Who knew?)
- HuffPost ran this strong defense of Bobby Kennedy, Jr.—then took it down just minutes later.
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Update on the strange death of Nancy Schaefer
- Barry Gordon
- The Ostroy Report
- Veterans for Common Sense
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- Evil GOP Bastards
- Media Matters
- Democratic Undergroud
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- Media Channel
- The International Human Press
- William Betz
- The Rude Pudit
- Election Defense Alliance
- Thom Hartmann
- Talking Points Memo
- Suburban Guerrilla
- Richard Charnin
- t r u t h o u t
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.