On the News With Thom Hartmann: Montana Follows Vermont’s Lead on Path to State-Level Single-Payer Health Care, and More
Thursday 29 September 2011
by: Thom Hartmann, The Thom Hartmann Program | News Report
In today’s On the News segment: Montana follows Vermont’s lead on path to state-level single-payer system, Republican attacks on reproductive rights continue in a new request for 12 years of Planned Parenthood’s financial disclosures, new evidence surfaces that the conflict in Afghanistan is worsening, and more.
Thom Hartmann here – on the news…
You need to know this. The stage is set for a Supreme Court showdown. The Department of Justice called on the Supreme Court yesterday to rule on the constitutionality of President Obama’s signature health reform law – making it extremely likely the high court will hear the case sometime around the summer of next year – right smack dab in the middle of the election season. The DOJ is calling on the court to reverse a decision made by a lower appeals court in Atlanta that struck down the entire law earlier this year. In a statement released yesterday – the DOJ made it clear that it was confident Obamacare would be upheld saying, “Throughout history, there have been similar challenges to other landmark legislation, such as the Social Security Act, the Civil Rights Act and the Voting Rights Act, and all of those challenges failed.” According to the Center for American Progress – if all 9 Supreme Court justices remain consistent in their previous rulings – then there are at least 7 votes on the high court in favor of the Affordable Care Act. Then again, they will rule during an election – and given that this is one of the most politicized Supreme Courts in our nation’s history – anything can happen – just look at Citizens United.
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Please HELP FUND this documentary on JFK’s assassination!
- Talkin’ World War One Blues…
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- Please HELP FUND this documentary on JFK's assassination!
- How NYU squeezes billions from its students—and where that money goes
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Barry Gordon
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- Talking Points Memo
- t r u t h o u t
- Suburban Guerrilla
- Early America
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- The International Human Press
- Thom Hartmann
- The Rude Pudit
- William Betz
- Veterans for Common Sense
- The Ostroy Report
- Media Matters
- Evil GOP Bastards
- Mainstream Baptist
- Words of Power
- Democratic Undergroud
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- History Unfolding
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.