As you may be aware, legislation requiring voters to produce restrictive photo identification at the polls has been popping up all over the country. The Lawyers’ Committee continues to be a vocal opponent of these measures, as they create unnecessary new hurdles to the ballot box that are especially burdensome for low-income, minority, elderly, disabled, and student voters, many of whom were able to vote before but, thanks to new requirements, may be unable or discouraged from doing so in future elections.
How do these laws create barriers to the ballot? Here are just a few of the many examples that we’ve seen recently:
These stories are just a handful of the estimated 5 million + citizens who will have their right to vote effectively taken away from them in 2012 by these unfair voter ID laws.
To combat this reality and educate citizens of their rights, we are pleased to launch our new Interactive Map of Shame. The Map of Shame shows the status of existing voter ID and other laws that have the effect of suppressing the turnout of eligible voters on Election Day. In addition, the Map offers state-specific information on new requirements for registering to vote and voting. For states with the strictest laws, the Map of Shame provides voter ID toolkits with detailed information on every step of the process for obtaining a qualifying photo ID. The Map also has links through which you can share your story of how voter ID laws have affected you or those around you and an online petition you can sign to protest these disenfranchising laws.
These restrictive voter ID bills are a solution in search of a problem and will only serve to disenfranchise eligible voters. Our right to vote is too important for us to allow these assaults to continue! Join us in resolutely denouncing these dangerous attacks on our most fundamental right.
The Lawyers’ Committee for Civil Rights Under Law
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Please HELP FUND this documentary on JFK’s assassination!
- Talkin’ World War One Blues…
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Please HELP FUND this documentary on JFK's assassination!
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Writers Voice
- The International Human Press
- Early America
- t r u t h o u t
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- Media Matters
- Cody Lyon
- Democratic Undergroud
- Barry Gordon
- Election Defense Alliance
- Suburban Guerrilla
- Richard Charnin
- Online Journal
- Words of Power
- History Unfolding
- Thom Hartmann
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.