Plain Talk: Participating in democracy just got tougher for elderly
DAVE ZWEIFEL | Cap Times editor emeritus |
Posted: Monday, October 31, 2011 4:30 am
Back in July, I wrote about a 101-year-old woman named Gladys Butterfield of Rhinelander who, after faithfully voting for the past 80 years, was faced with having to visit a Division of Motor Vehicles office to get — thanks to Scott Walker and his fellow Republicans in the Legislature — an ID card so she can continue taking part in American democracy.
Her daughter, Gail Bloom, had written me about the inconvenience it was causing her mom, who is in a wheelchair.
“Because she no longer has a driver’s license and her baptismal record isn’t acceptable as proof of her identity, she has had to apply for and pay $20 for a state-certified birth certificate,” Gail wrote. “She is not exempt from needing an ID as those in nursing homes are because my sister and I have been able to care for her in her home.
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: email@example.com
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- NYU is built for WAR! (Who knew?)
- HuffPost ran this strong defense of Bobby Kennedy, Jr.—then took it down just minutes later.
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Where the money goes at NYU
- The International Human Press
- Media Matters
- Evil GOP Bastards
- Words of Power
- William Betz
- The Ostroy Report
- Veterans for Common Sense
- Online Journal
- Writers Voice
- alias Bruce
- Early America
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- Mainstream Baptist
- Barry Gordon
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- History Unfolding
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- Thom Hartmann
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.